Friday, October 07, 2011

What a Wonderful World

I've had a rather pleasant couple of days. Yesterday, I slept in and watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes. Adventures in the great outdoors was the theme of this set. My favorite episodes were Minnie and Mickey's search for a rare tropical flower (with a little help from Jungle Pete's elephant friends) and Mickey and Donald's attempt to rescue the girls and Pluto when they get a little too carried away by a pile of balloons.

It was so gorgeous yesterday, I just had to get out and do something. I finally swept the porch after letting it go for almost a month because of the rain. It needed it. The leaves are just starting to show the first tinge of autumn colors here, and they're falling at a much faster rate.

Work was pretty much the same as Wednesday. It was steady when I arrived right on time for the usual 4-6 rush hour. By the time I left at 10, I was just doing candy. Once again, there were no real problems, and I was in and out.

After a shower, I spent most of last night and this morning dubbing a pile of home movies for Dad-Bruce to DVD. He said he did it himself years ago, but he wanted to take advantage of the improvement in technology since then. I wasn't sure about doing it for him, but I'm glad I did it. The tapes were mostly of my stepsister Jessa, from her adoption from China by Dad and my stepmother Kaye in August 1993 through Jessa's 9th birthday in 1999, two years after Kaye's death from cancer. In between, I saw everything from Jessa's first Halloween in the US (I can't believe my sister dressed as a Pink Power Ranger) to Dad's 50th birthday party (I didn't know he and Kaye were such great dancers) to Jessa's First Communion (she looks stunning in white).

I finished up the tapes this morning while waiting for the Comcast technician to arrive. I got some other things done around the apartment, too. I changed the Cabbies into fall clothes. I cleared out the piles of papers on the table and junk drawer dresser. I dusted the living room.

After the Comcast technician left and the tape I was dubbing ended, I headed out to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. I picked up my paycheck, then went out to lunch. My first thought was Tu Se Bella, but I finally decided it was far too nice to eat inside and opted for a Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Onion Rings, and an iced tea at Sonic.

It was another gorgeous day here. The weather just doesn't get much more perfect than this. It was sunny, breezy, and dry, warm but not above the average for early October in Southern New Jersey. It was great for an outdoor lunch. There were other people eating on the patio at Sonic with me, too, a group of teenage boys, a family, and a middle-aged couple.

Went back to the Acme after lunch for this week's grocery shopping. With the holiday baking season upon us, now was the time to stock up on essentials like brown sugar, white sugar, cake mixes (99 cents for Duncan Hines this week - I got Fudge Marble for family parties), vanilla, peanut butter, and cooking spray. I was almost out of oatmeal, and I found beef stew meat and chicken cutlets for good prices. Also got two of the dollar single packs of fish.

Headed home next. I finished dubbing Dad's videos while putting away my groceries. Went right back out again to run a few errands. I wanted to get the videos and DVD to Dad before he goes on a work trip starting tomorrow. I did catch him and Jodie watching Law & Order at Uncle Ken's house. I delivered the videos and DVD to him, and he showed me his lovely collection of exotic plants outside and gave me a sprig from his and Uncle Ken's huge rosemary bush.

My next stop was a quick run to the bank. After that, I went straight back to my apartment. I dusted and listened to records, then ran Summer Magic while making Chicken Legs Poached in Rosemary-White Wine Sauce with carrots and leeks, steamed Swiss chard, and Sweet Potatoes with Vanilla and Cinnamon for dinner. Baked that yummy Rosemary-Lemon Cake from the day after Hurricane Irene again, too.

And I don't have a bad schedule next week. A couple of late days, but nothing quite as bad as Thursday, and Tuesday and next Friday off. (And I work late next Saturday, so I won't have to rush the farm market-yard sale run tomorrow or next week. Great! This is the prime fall yard sale season in South Jersey.)

No comments: