Monday, October 24, 2011

A Quiet Girl

It was a sunny, slightly warmer autumn day when I opened my eyes this morning. Since I didn't work until 5:30, I decided to linger in bed a bit. I didn't actually get moving until around 10, and it was past noon when I made it to the laundromat to get my laundry done.

That may not have been a bright idea. It was the busiest I've ever seen it when I got in there. I took the one remaining washer no one was using! There were several families and at least one old man doing their wash. Thankfully, there were a few driers open by the time my load was done. I was in and out as quickly as possible.

I spent the rest of a very quiet afternoon having leftover chicken meatloaf and broccoli for lunch, working on the Holiday Music Inventory, listening to jazz music, and watching The Young Victoria. Another biography of a British monarch, this one takes us back more than a hundred and fifty years to the reign of a much younger ruler. Princess Victoria (Emily Blunt), who has spent her life being sheltered by her silly mother (Miranda Richardson) and nasty Sir John Conroy (Mark Strong), takes the throne after her uncle (Jim Broadbent) dies. Most people think she's too young and lacking in experience to be queen...except for intelligent, handsome Prince Albert of Germany (Rupert Friend). Victoria, however, has more than a few surprises in store for everyone in the English court...including the dashing Albert.

I enjoyed this as much as the less-mushy The King's Speech. A lot of critics complained about the lack of historical accuracy, and while this may be true (I really don't know much about this time period myself), it's more than made up for by some wonderful performances (including a marvelously passionate Blunt) and the splendid Oscar-winning costumes.

Rode to work around quarter after 5...and got a huge surprise when I saw the Black Horse Pike. Traffic was backed up on the side of the Pike coming from Philadelphia for miles! Thank goodness I was riding a bike on the sidewalk on the half of the Pike going towards South Jersey. I had no problems getting to work.

Work was busy despite the traffic, but it cleared out quickly around 7:30-8. I discovered why when I hurried outside and saw that everything was wet. It must have showered while I was in the Acme. It's just cloudy now, though, and did nothing while I was riding home.

No comments: