Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's Eagles Time!

It was gorgeous again this morning, windy but sunny and just warm enough for October, when I woke up around quarter of 10. Turned on Brunch With the Beatles while I wrote in my journal and got dressed. Brunch celebrated its 10th anniversary with the A and B sides of all of Beatles singles that hit #1 in the US. These included "Day Tripper," "Help!," "A Hard Day's Night," "Can't Buy Me Love," "Hello Goodbye," and "Yesterday." The Beatles song that spent the most weeks at #1? "Hey Jude," at seven weeks. This was interspersed with clips from that first episode, when it was a one-hour show called The Beatles' Brunch.

I made Cranberry-Whole Wheat Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. Didn't talk to her for very long. She had Anny and Skylar there. She sounded like she was in a decent mood, anyway. I quickly discussed my week and my decision to get my foot looked at.

I used the rest of the farm-market cranberries to make a Cranberry-Carrot Cake for Uncle Ken's football party. I pretty much just added applesauce and cranberries to Betty Crocker's carrot cake mix. I don't know how it came out. I never got to try any. I literally just pulled it out of the oven and left!

Stopped at a rare Sunday yard sale on the other end of Manor Avenue before I went to Uncle Ken's. Despite the claim on the cardboard sign on the light pole that it was a "big sale," there wasn't much there besides books, tube TVs, and trinkets. I saw nothing interesting and moved on.

The game had literally just begun when I pulled into Uncle Ken's. The place was hopping! All of Dolores' children and their children were there. Little May is getting so big, and Mercedes is looking more and more like a teenager. My cousins Karen and Jim and their son CJ were there, too. I haven't seen them in ages. They live in Washington Township, about 45 minutes away, and they don't get down here that often. Samantha and David and their brood showed up a bit later.

There was tons of food, too. Uncle Ken made Italian Noodle Soup with elbow macaroni, carrots, tomato pieces, and bits of ham and salami. It was salty and spicy, to the point where it cleared my sinuses! Dolores had a loaf of sourdough bread from the Acme. There were pieces of honey mustard-flavored pretzels, potato chips, ranch dip, orange jelly slices, and potato chips. I'm glad I didn't work until 3. Unlike last week, I got to enjoy the food and the company. (I especially enjoyed Mercedes reading a Disney Cinderella picture book for May. They laughed as Cinderella tried to prepare for her wedding, without the well-meaning interference of her lady-in-waiting Prudence.)

Went right to work from Uncle Ken's. We were on-and-off busy all night. I had my own problems. Fifteen minutes into my shift, a check wouldn't feed through the machine. It just kept freezing the computer! The check machine in Register 1 had been freezing off and on for days. It was working earlier, but it just decided to go down again on me. The manager reset the computer and had to take my customer at the service desk.

And when a fellow teased me about the money I held for the register, I got upset. I hate being teased. He apologized nicely later, but I felt bad for getting upset. I never know how to react when some of my male customers make jokes. I know most of them don't mean to be rude, but I spent most of my life being taunted and teased and bullied.

Thankfully, there were no problems after that. The store was clearing out by 7, when I finished. That could be because the Eagles game went so well. They were 20 to 0 against the Washington Redskins at 2:30. They eventually won the game 20-14, their first win in weeks.

No comments: