Monday, June 03, 2013

Dodging the Rain

It was only cloudy when I got up this morning. It was humid and damp, but not as hot as it has been; it must have rained overnight. At any rate, it wasn't doing anything when I finally made it out to do this week's laundry load. It was busy when I got in, but everyone seemed to have their clothes in the dryer. By the time my clothes were going in the dryer, most everyone was gone. It was just me and The Price Is Right until I finished what little I had, loaded up my laundry bag, and left.

When I got in, I put everything away and did a few quick items on my computer and my desk. I wrote out my rent check. I updated a few inventories and did this month's budget. While I have bought several things at yard sales and for the dolls, I've also been transferring at least 20 to 40 dollars to my savings account every week. I still have far more money than I did at this time last year, when I would barely have been making 20 to 25 hours. 

I had a very quick lunch of leftovers while watching Muppet Show episodes. I honored the late Jean Stapleton with the hilarious episode she appeared in during the first half of season three. She got to duet with Fozzie on the old Irving Berlin favorite "Play a Simple Melody" and with Harry the Mad Bomber on "I'm Just Wild About Harry." Leo Sayer was a popular British singer in the late 70s who is today best known for the smash hit "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing." Miss Piggy certainly doesn't feel like dancing - or doing anything besides karate chops - when a new, younger female pig named Annie Sue joins the cast.

It was still cloudy when I rode to work (delivering the rent on the way). The rain didn't come until much later...just in time for rush hour, of course. Between the weather and this being the beginning of the month, we were slammed for most of the night. We had the usual assortment of annoying folks we get hit with at this time of the month, including one woman who first fussed over having to split her order of Poweraides to get the buy 10, get 5 free sale, and then because she didn't buy the right size of Life Cereal to get that sale. She said she found those in the displays, but customers who came in later with that sale said they found nothing but the right size. She probably just assumed that they were what she wanted without really looking. Even her teenage son looked annoyed with her. Not to mention she held up a family with a toddler and a huge order; good thing they were cool about it. 

I was so happy that the crowds not only slowed down in time for me to get off with no problems, but so did the weather. Once again, it wasn't raining when I was out. It looked like the clouds on the horizon were trying to break apart. At the very least, I haven't seen any more rain at press time. 

No comments: