Saturday, June 29, 2013

In the Swim of Things

Started my early work day with the American Top 40. What I heard of it was in June 1985 this week. Hits from early summer included "Angel" by Madonna, "A View to a Kill" by Duran Duran (from the odd James Bond film of that title), "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears, "Things Can Only Get Better" by Howard Jones, "Raspberry Beret" by Prince and the Revolution, and "The Search Is Over" by Survivor.

I had to leave for work before I could hear the number 1 song. I worked at 9AM today. We were crazy busy all day. We were so busy, we had plenty of help, and the lines were still long. We're getting close to the beginning of the month and the 4th of July. It was also a gorgeous day today, sunny and warm but neither as hot nor as humid as previous days this week...and the few clouds seen were fat and low but not threatening.

I headed out as soon as my relief arrived. I spent some time on the computer for a little while when I got in. I was tired and considered a nap, but finally decided it was just too nice of a day to be inside. I changed into my bathing suit and rode over to Dad's for a swim.

The pool was quiet, empty, and incredibly warm when I arrived. The water temperature was 86 degrees! I was able to have a relaxing swim to myself. Dad and Jodie joined me on the newly repaved deck a little later. They were babysitting Khai, who had just spent the night at his other grandmother's house.

Poor Khai finally came in around 6. He'd tripped and smacked his head against his grandmother's coffee table and now had a rather nice black eye for a three-year-old. It didn't help that he was tired and very cranky. He cried when he was in the pool...and he normally adores the water. Usually, the only time he'll cry around the pool is when someone tries to take him out of it!

Khai calmed down a little when his Grandma Jodie gave him a good rub-down with his towel, and we all went inside for dinner. Dad made shrimp and scallops with tomatoes, broccoli, and angel hair pasta. Khai gulped his down as quickly as he could - the Mr. Softee truck was coming! Dad bought Khai a huge, rainbow-colored Popsicle and himself a caramel sundae. (Jodie said she'd share Khai's, and I had treats at home.)

We spent a little time on the porch after dinner. Khai ate the first two colors (red and purple) of his enormous frozen treat. The rest of us chatted with the nice older lady who rents an apartment from Dad. I left after she did; I wanted to get home before dark. I said good-bye to Dad, then stopped and got a cherry-flavored kiss from Khai as I went by him on my way down the street. (Jodie took him to play with some neighborhood kids.)

No comments: