Monday, June 17, 2013

Hot Times Ahead

We once again slept in. By the time we headed out around 11, it was hot, sunny, and a bit humid, but breezy enough to keep it relatively comfortable. We started our day with a stroll to the Westmont Plaza. We headed past the shops on the White Horse Pike and the Clyde S Jennings Elementary School, smiling at the kids and their teacher enjoying an outdoor class in their Learning Gardens.

There really weren't too many stores left at the Plaza to explore. Lauren owns a Wii, so we took a look at Game Stop. The Game Stop at the Westmont Plaza is bigger and has a much better selection of games than the tiny one in Audubon. We also took a look at Tuesday Morning. I was hoping they'd have a pan (my smallest frying pan is really getting worn out), but I didn't see anything I liked that I could afford. We didn't end up with anything at either place.

Thankfully, we missed the worst of the teenage lunch crowd at the Westmont Bagel Shop. They've done considerable remodeling since the last time I was there. The front room and the doors are now painted in shades of periwinkle. The main room is done in mauve. All the sports memorbillia is grouped by sport on squares on the wall, instead of being spread around the room helter-skelter. To be honest, I kind of liked helter-skelter better. This place doesn't feel right gentrified. It didn't effect the taste of the food. Lauren enjoyed her pizza bagels. I loved my Monte Cristo with turkey, ham, and tomato. (I did give Lauren part of the ham. Pork tends to give me indigestion. The sausage yesterday was bad enough.)

It was so hot, we stopped at Kayla's for water ice on the way home. Lauren had cherry. I had chocolate chocolate chip banana fudge. We enjoyed our treats and tried to ignore the noisy, obnoxious pre-teen and young teenage girls who were chattering in the swinging booths. One of the swinging booths had come off its track; it sounds like the girls at least knew who did it.

We made a brief stop at WaWa on the way home. Lauren wanted snacks and drinks for her remaining two days here. After she bought her food, we went back to my place. We spent an hour resting and playing more Uno. Lauren's getting the hang of it. She won almost all the games this time.

Clouds were gathering as we headed back out. We both needed to get laundry done. I had a really large load, and Lauren was almost through the clothes she brought. We timed it very well. Action News on Channel 6 was fussing about storms even as we arrived. There was only one or two other people when we were loading up our washers. By the time our clothes were in the dryer, the place was packed, there were almost no washers left, and the clouds were starting to break apart.

When we got in, we ran Three Stooges Shemp shorts. I made Strawberry Spice Cookies with white cake mix, egg whites, spices, canola oil, and fresh farm market strawberries. When the cookies were done (and Lauren proclaimed them delicious), I made us both omelets with farm market veggies.

Right now, we're online, watching The Pirate Movie. Tomorrow, I'm going to take Lauren out to a fancy lunch at Anthony's in Haddon Heights.

No comments: