Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer and Technology

First of all, I hope everyone enjoyed the first day of summer! It was a gorgeous day to start summer here, too, sunny, breezy, and warm but not uncomfortable. 

Started the morning with several black and white Silly Symphony shorts that revolve around summer, insects, and animals. "Summer" and "Night" are as simple as it gets - summer animals dance in time to the classical music, the latter during the evening hours. Later stories were a bit more exciting. "The Spider and the Fly," "Frolicking Fish," and "Bugs In Love" all revolve around the same concept - a larger animal (a spider, a crow, and an octopus) attacks smaller animals, until their friends come to the rescue using the often ingenious means at their disposal.

I didn't get to the groceries until about 11:30. The Acme was busy, but not overwhelmingly so. Good thing. I had a lot of restocking to do after Lauren's visit. The brown and white sugar both needed to be refilled. I used canned black beans and peaches last week and ate the canned mixed fruit this morning with blueberry muffins for breakfast. Grabbed Arm & Hammer Deodorant on one of the Acme's occasional dollar sales on that and Arrid. Needed sponges, chocolate chips, and wraps as well. Wanted to try the new 4th of July-themed Jet Puffed Starmallows. I found ants swarming around the whole wheat flour bin, which is up against the cabinet wall closest to the windows. Yuck! I was able to clean it off (and thankfully no ants got into the flour), but I did want to buy ant traps to make sure that didn't happen again.

The UPS truck pulled in at the same time I did. I arrived just in time to take my package from the truck driver. Yay! My new laptop had arrived from Toshiba. It's a beautiful Toshiba Satellite. It's smaller and lighter than my old Compaq, and runs three times as fast. I wish I could have had more time to handle it before I had to work. In fact, I was almost late because I spent so much time getting the laptop together, I was barely able to change or eat lunch!

Ironically, not only did I make it on time, but I was less late than yesterday. For once, I was glad. We were on-and-off busy all day. The Acme's going through some major changes, thanks to the company that bought them out a few months ago. We're putting major emphasis on lower prices (even the prices that haven't been lowered all that much). Most sales, except for some big promotions, no longer require the store card. The only reason a customer will need the card will be to get coupons on the machines. We're also emphasizing our genuinely good produce and meat. I know people (including Dad and Jodie) who say they shop at Acme mainly because we have the best meat prices and stock around. 

Went right back to the laptop when I got home. After I got the laptop synced to my internet, I bookmarked as many of my favorite sites as I could find. Alas, one I could not find was RoughDraft, which I've used as an editing-friendly alternate to Microsoft Word for years. It seems it's been discontinued since the last time I downloaded it. Lauren suggested OpenOffice as a replacement. I'll try it tomorrow. 

No comments: