Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pirates of the Floating Icebergs

I spent most of the morning on the computer, especially after I got word of Molly's archival. I finally had lunch around quarter of 2. Made tuna while running some more summer-themed cartoons. Tom and Jerry were in the spotlight this afternoon. Jerry is on his own when he takes on New York in "Mouse In Manhattan." Tom uses Jerry as unwilling live bait in "Cat Fishin'," but the dog who guards the pond and a particularly toothy fish may keep them from getting a good haul. The duo hit the beach in "Salt Water Tabby." Tom wants to spend time with a pretty girl cat. Jerry has other ideas.

The bathroom and the kitchen both needed to be scrubbed. The bathroom was really grungy. I found ants in one of my cabinets in the kitchen. I couldn't figure out why that was the only place I'd seen them...until I dusted and found lots of dirt particles. They must have been carpenter ants! Miss Ellie told me she'd had problems with them on the roof. I haven't seen them since I put out the ant traps. They seem to have done the trick.

Ran Joan Jett and the Rolling Stones while I was cleaning. Switched to Ice Age: Continental Drift while finishing the kitchen and heating up a can of Italian Wedding Soup for dinner. Peaches, the baby mammoth Ellie and Manny had in the third film, is now a teenager who just wants to hang with the other mammoth kids. Manny's still overprotective of everyone he loves...which is pushing Peaches further away. They both come to regret their angry words when the continents start to split apart. Peaches, Ellie, and the possums remain on land and lead their neighbors to safety, while Manny, Diego, Sid, and Sid's somewhat senile Granny find themselves in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on an iceberg. When the quartet run afoul of a group of pirate animals, it'll take all their wits to return to those they love, dodge the marauders, and convince the female first mate cat Diego has his eye on that their herd is worth joining.

If you liked the rest of the Ice Age series, this one was just as much fun. Wanda Sykes in particular was a riot as Granny. However, I still recommend that you begin with the first or second film to understand the relationships better - this is not a series you can come in half-way through.

Clouds were gathering as I headed to work. It did finally rain shortly after I arrived, but it was nothing like the thunderstorm we got yesterday. I almost wish it was. The customers were cranky and rude throughout much of the night. This may have been due to this being the last night of sales. There were people out changing the sale tags even as people brought sales to the front and complained when they couldn't use this coupon or that sale wouldn't show up the way it wanted. I was once again late getting out. Thankfully, the rain was long gone by this point. I arrived home perfectly dry.

No comments: