Thursday, July 18, 2013

California Cruisin' and Other Hot-Weather Tales

Started another hot, humid day with more Lois & Clark. This time, Clark discovers that he's somehow in two places at once when another guy in a Superman suit appears and does good in Europe...when he's at the Daily Planet. He's determined to find out who this impostor is, what he's up to, and what Lex Luthor has to do with it in "Vatman."

Headed for work around quarter of 12. It was already hot as heck, even worse than yesterday, and steamier than a Turkish bath. Today was supposed to have been the height of the heat wave, and that definitely and understandably effected our business. We were on-and-off steady for the entire afternoon, even during the usual rush hours, and were never more than mildly busy. The worst thing that happened was I had trouble with my last customer, one of those people who have more bill than money to pay it, and I was almost late leaving because I had to deal with her and my relief was late.

I stopped by Leo's Yum Yums on my way home. After what happened at work, I figured I needed a small Cotton Candy Yum-Yum (creamier, grittier water ice). I was originally going to walk down after work, but I decided it would probably be too busy once it cooled off. It wasn't busy at all when I arrived. I saw people buying pizzas at Phillies Phatties, but no one was in line for Leo's.

When I got home, I put on another Lois & Clark episode while changing into my regular clothes and getting the air conditioner going. Clark and Lois both have some unwelcome house guests in "The Ides of Metropolis." Clark's dealing with his father, who thinks his wife is having an affair. Lois finds herself rooming with a computer genius whom she's sure didn't kill the husband of his lover. And Jimmy Olsen is wondering why Perry White's suddenly wearing flashier suits and sporting a toupee.

Switched to American Graffiti while I made a Chicken and Berry Salad (canned chicken with blueberries, raspberries, and peaches on bibb lettuce, topped with the last of the Strawberry Vinaigrette). Four typical guys of the early 60s - the high school prom king (Ron Howard), an aspiring writer on his way to college (Richard Dreyfuss), their geek buddy (Charles Martin Smith), and an older greaser (Paul Le Mat) - have a fairly wild summer night and early morning "cruisin'" around town and listening to music on the radio. Smith picks up a tall, beautiful blond (Candy Clark), but loses the car he got her in. Howard has to decide whether or not to leave his girl (Cindy Williams), especially when she runs off with a cowboy-ish greaser (Harrison Ford). Le Mat gets stuck with a young teen (MacKenzie Phillips) for most of the night. Dreyfuss spends the night chasing a gorgeous blond he saw in a car (Suzanne Summers).

If you love plotless comedies with great music set in the recent past like Dazed and Confused and Pirate Radio, this one will be right up your alley. Many classic rock fans may own the soundtrack already (and if they don't, they should). This was George Lucas' breakthrough film, and it launched the careers of many of its cast members (or adult careers, in Howard's case), revived 50s and early 60s pop in the 70s, and made nostalgia a household word.

As I swept the porch a bit later, I noticed dark clouds on the horizon. Saw them on the way home from work, too. It's supposed to rain tomorrow or Saturday and finally break up the heat wave. Not a moment too soon, if you ask me.

No comments: