Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tooth and Consequences

The first thing on the busy agenda today was my dental appointment at 10AM. I rode over to the Westmont Plaza around quarter after 9. The office was much larger than it looked from the outside, with a long hall filled with doors and alcoves that seemed to go on for miles. After I signed all the necessary papers, I followed a nurse to one of those doors. I took off my earrings while she took x-rays. I was surprised at how simple the procedure was for x-rays. No huge machines, like the one that did my foot. Just one small machine on either cheek, and then a last one that went all round my mouth and looked like something from a sci-fi movie where they scan your brain.

I waited another 10 minutes or so for the verdict. It wasn't good. Three cavities that needed to be filled and capped, one recessed tooth, two wisdom teeth that needed to come out, that damn molar that's been a problem for years still needed a root canal, and I had gum disease. Ironically, the periodontics (the capped teeth) would cost far more than the root canal (which mostly seems to be covered by the health insurance). I made an appointment for the periodontics on August 8th and got the basic cleaning done today. The dental hygienist gave me a really nice Oral-B toothbrush (along with travel-sized toothpaste and floss) and suggested I should use the electrical kind from now on that do a better job of cleaning teeth.

After a quick stop at Dollar Tree next-door for a bottle of water and a jar of raspberry preserves, I headed on to the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteering session there. I got there at 11:30, which was probably a good thing. Another volunteer said there were "thousands" of kids at Storybook Hour today. Even long after Storybook Hour had ended, the library was still pretty busy. I had plenty of DVDs to organize and put away. For once, I found more adult titles in the kids' section than the other way around, and all the kids' DVDs fit fine.

I went straight to Haddonfield after leaving the library. They were surprisingly busy for such a hot day. I hit them on the tail end of the lunch hour. I originally wanted to have lunch at the Amino Juice and Burritos Bar, but they were so full, I didn't think I could squeeze in! I ended up grabbing a quick spinach, egg white, and cheese whole-wheat wrap at Starbucks instead.

My counseling appointment was at 2. I told her about the dental appointment and the recent family parties. I then gave her the list of jobs I was interested in looking into. They're all publishing or writing jobs, like editor, proofreader, book publisher or packager, desktop publisher, librarian, virtual assistant, and web content writer. Mrs. Stahl admitted that she doesn't really know much about how to get those jobs or where to begin. I don't, either. I'm not very good at talking to people, and I haven't had much luck with job hunting on Monster.com and similar sites. What little I come up with from there always seems to want more experience than I have...but how can I get experience if I can't get hired?

Mrs. Stahl says a lot of it is pure social anxiety stemming from years of torment and negativity. I'm shy around people I don't know well. I can't talk to people my own age. Most of them are just so different from me. Mom said moving wouldn't be a good idea. I have a good apartment now, and I probably won't be able to get another one for a good price elsewhere. It's not something I'm going to do in the immediate future, but if I really can't meet anyone here, I might be better off trying somewhere else...or moving near the friends I do have.

Mrs. Stahl pretty much said to call Stockton and make an appointment with their alumni office or whomever can give me advice on finding jobs. I've been hoping to stay away from Stockton. I'm still very angry with them. They didn't help me find a job when I was going there. Nobody told me what I should do next, or where I should go, or what I should do with my skills and interests. My internship was interviewing Stockton students about 9/11 and how it impacted them for what was then Camden's PBS station. I turned it in, but never heard about it again. I don't know if they even ran it.

The thing is, I don't think anyone else will be able to help me. I don't know whom to talk to here, and the few writers I've tried to meet have been busy with other things. I'm so shy and scared! I get so nervous when I try to talk to people, and I hate making phone calls. Mrs. Stahl is right that I have to. I don't have a choice. I can't really think of anyone else who knows people in journalism and communications.

I rode home along Haddon Avenue, trying to ignore the blistering heat and humidity. Stopping at Primo's Water Ice helped. I bought a medium "margarita" (translation - sweet lime) water ice to cool my sweating body. I was originally going to eat it inside, but the Ice Box, the large room where they hold parties, was actually too cold! I ended up outside, in the shade under their overhang, sitting in a metal chair and table. The overhang kept everything relatively cool without it being too cold.

Went straight home through a surprisingly busy Newton River Park. I dodged joggers, a father and his son, daughter, and their beagle puppy, people out for a stroll, and lots of Canadian geese hiding in the shade. And yes, I took things slow, and stopped several times for sips from the water bottle I bought at Dollar Tree (which was warm as heck by then, but it was wet).

I went right in the bath when I got in. A cool bath felt so nice after running around all day! I'd considered going swimming at Dad's, but I just didn't feel like going anywhere else on the bike. I leaned back and read the book on careers I'd taken out of the library and You Call It Madness instead.

I cheered myself up with a real dinner. I defrosted one of the almond-crusted fish fillets I bought n Friday, steamed broccoli, sliced up tomatoes, and made mashed potatoes. Ran The Thomas Crown Affair while I ate and cooked. The 1999 remake of the 1969 film has Pierce Bronsonan as the title character, a bored billionaire who steals a priceless painting in broad daylight just for something to do. Rene Russo is the insurance claims investigator who is initially interested in finding the painting...but comes to find Thomas Crown awfully attractive, too.

I've never seen the original version, so I can't compare the two. I do know this is a stylish action caper with both leads having an awful lot of fun as they lead each other in as many circles as possible. Language and sexual situations makes this a movie for older teens and adults, but those who enjoy caper films, Bronsonan, or light action will want to take a look.

No comments: