Sunday, November 15, 2015

Dolphins In Eaglesland

It was another beautiful, sunny, windy fall day when I awoke this morning. I made Gingerbread Pancakes (which I burned) while listening to one of my Decca operetta CD's. About a decade ago, Decca released a series of discs that featured two short operetta LP's per set. The Babes In Toyland/The Red Mill set features abbreviated versions of two of Victor Herbert's most famous shows. Babes features Kenny Baker; Wilbur Evans of By the Beautiful Sea gets to sing two of Mill's most famous songs, "Every Day Is Lady's Day With Me" and "The Sidewalks of New York (In Old New York)."

Work was actually not that bad when I came in. It didn't pick up until later. Today was the Eagles' first 1 PM game in over a month, and it was at home, to boot, against the Miami Dolphins. I was tired and frustrated and didn't always do well. One woman didn't understand about not being able to mix Pepsi and Coke brands to get the 3 twelve-packs for 12 dollars sale. Another girl gave me a hard time when I tried to explain that she bought far too much for her fruit and vegetable WIC check and would have to pay cash along with the check. She said she wouldn't shop there again, and it was all my fault, because I couldn't explain it right! I was so upset.

I was still upset when I got home. The Eagles game didn't help. They were winning through the first half. Unfortunately, they made some bad plays, or some that were just called badly, and let the Dolphins catch up by the fourth quarter. They just barely lost, 20-19.

Tried to concentrate on my writing instead. Betty takes time off after lunch to explore Port Harbor's Summer Festival. She sees food sales and crafts shows and cart sales. She stops to haggle with an old woodcarver for a beautifully-carved mushroom. A young man finally helps her get a fair price from the carver. He tells her he's Doug Thompson, a lawyer who lives in town. He offers to take her to see the sights. She agrees...but a certain thief is watching the two from the shadows. He wanted to tell Betty what he's doing and why, but he doesn't like her with Doug...

Switched to records while I made leftover swai fish and acorn squash with roasted Brussels sprouts. Here's Love is a musical version of Miracle on 34th Street that debuted on Broadway in 1963. Here, Fred the lawyer is a former Marine and a bit tougher; he and Doris have a few more scenes together than they do in other versions. There's also a dance number that has Susan imagining what kind of a father her mother would choose, and a totally irreverent chorus sequence that has the lawyer and his buddies waiting for Doris to show up and placing bets. While "Pine Cones and Holly Berries" (paired with the previously-written "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas") is probably the best known number from this today, my favorite song is the touching "My Wish." Susan and Fred become good buddies as they discuss what they want and hope from the future.

Moved to another 20's CD after I got out of my shower. This one went all the way back to 1920, when people were just starting to trade parlor ballads for jazz and dance songs. Eddie Cantor got my favorite, "You'd Be Surprised."

1 comment:

Linda said...

Sadly, one must give good customer service, but it sounds like so many of your customers are just being obtuse. Sales are usually on one brand or the other, so Soda Lady needs to understand she can't mix Coke and Pepsi. WIC Lady needs to understand she has a certain budget and can't go over it. Bluntly, they need to read and understand, and they aren't doing either, whether from poor education or just plain laziness. It's like the turkey coupon you've talked about. Conditions for the free turkey are $100 in groceries AND the coupon in hand. Not your fault the customer didn't read it. If I go into Kroger and try to use a Publix coupon because I didn't read the "Publix only" small print and the cashier calls me on it--well, my bad and I just need to get over it. It ain't the cashier's fault.