Friday, December 27, 2019

Lights of Camden County

Began a semi-cloudy day with breakfast and Buzzr. Started off with Blockbusters. A mother-son pair kicked rear today, including the challenger's. Left it on for Match Game while I did the dishes and got organized. In the first episode, Mark Goodson, one of the show's producers, gave Gene a bag for his needlepoint in honor of his work on the show and how big of a hit had become. In the second, we have Nipsey Russell next to Brett, making poems on the spot, while she teases a less-than-amused Richard.

Didn't get out to the laundromat until past noon. I should have gone earlier. A woman had so much laundry, she just had to take every single small washer. I begged for her to let me have one regular washer, but she complained she had too much laundry. Good thing I brought an extra dollar I originally intended to use to buy soda. I ended up using one of the larger, more expensive washers. Even with a load that was relatively large for me, all of my things finished before hers, and I had no trouble getting a dryer.

When I got home, I put my laundry away while trying something a little different. Exploring around Tubi revealed a 1997 animated version of Paddington Bear. These episodes seem to be at least somewhat inspired by the original stories. Paddington wrecks havoc on "A Visit to the Hospital" when he goes to see a neighbor whom broke his leg. "Paddington Takes the Road" when he repairs a tricycle and joins the Tour De France...but he can't figure out how to stop! "The Last Dance" has him practicing for a charity ball with Mr. Brown. His first waltz with a partner goes quite differently than he expects.

Called for Uber around quarter of 3. I just didn't feel like hiking all the way up to Barrington to take the bus to Deptford. I texted Jessa earlier and asked her to meet me for dinner at Red Robin. The gentleman, his car smelling of peanuts, pulled up about five minutes later. Other than a little traffic around the Deptford Mall, there were no problems.

Needless to say, the mall was busy as heck today. I explored the Disney Store, Bath and Body Works, Modell's Sporting Goods, and GameStop, but only bought a Mary Englebret calendar from the pop-up booth in the middle of the mall. Did better at Boscov's. Finally found a desperately-needed pair of New Balance sneakers there for $40. My work sneakers are literally falling apart. I like New Balances for work, but I couldn't find a pair I liked for a good price.

Met Jessa in front of Red Robin at quarter after 5. They were a little busy, but we were able to get a small booth. I haven't eaten there since Jessa and Joe took me there once. Jessa had a Guacamole Bacon Burger. I had a Bonzi Burger (teriyaki sauce, grilled pineapple, and the usual tomato and lettuce). We shared their tower of steaming, crunchy onion rings.

After dinner, Jessa drove to Pitman, a small town about 20 minutes from Deptford, to check out their elaborate lights display. Apparently, there's a small circle of Edwardian-era homes that use their shared courtyard area for a display of every possible Christmas thing that exists. I saw Looney Tunes in stockings, Santa sleeping, Santa in his workshop, Spongebob Squarepants, Mickey, Minnie, and Donald in a window, at least three large nativities, Raggedy Ann and Andy surrounded by other dolls, many variations on Rudolph and Frosty, children of many lands in their native costume, and even a vintage Santa house with photos of Pitman's past, all of it festooned with yards and yards of glittering, twinkling lights in every color imaginable.

My favorite display were the bears and their friends. A group of bears in all sizes, some in winter clothes or nightshirts, gathered around a "fire." One brown bear even toasted a marshmallow. There were some other animals too, including what I believe was an otter. It was just too cute.

After Jessa dropped me off at home, I returned to exploring Roku. It took me more than 40 minutes just to decide on what to watch! By that point, it was too late for a movie. I settled on two episodes of an old childhood favorite, Bewitched. The Roku Channel only had the later color seasons, but that was good enough to bring back some fond memories. I used to watch the show a lot in reruns when I was little.

Went with two fifth season episodes. In the first, a witch who is angry with Samantha's cousin Serena for stealing her husband mistakes Sam for her and sends Sam back in time to 1868 New Orleans. She doesn't remember who she is and almost ends up marrying a handsome businessman, until Serena sends Darrin back to win his wife's hand. The second episode has Sam's mother Esmerelda turning their daughter Tabitha into a piano virtuoso at four. Samantha, who has been trying to learn to play piano the mortal way, insists she doesn't want her daughter away from her parents for that long and searches for a genuine child piano protege to take her teacher's mind off Tabitha.

No comments: