Sunday, December 01, 2019

Rainy Afternoon With My Parents

Began a cloudy morning with early work. While it did get steady, it never became overwhelmingly crazy, nor was it as bad as it usually is on a football Sunday. People were likely restocking things like milk or butter after the holidays. I rounded up carts and the outside recycling, then returned loose items after another bagger came in around 11.

It started raining as early as 9:30, but it didn't really pick up until I was going home at 12. I arrived at my apartment very wet. Changed to dry pants and shoes, did a few things around my place, and headed back out, this time under an umbrella on foot. It was too rainy for the bike. I just walked to Dad and Jodie's house for the Eagles-Dolphins game.

As it turned out, I was the only one who came. Mark and Joya went to visit relatives in Wisconsin for Thanksgiving, and everyone else in the family is sick or busy. I was so tired, I ended up nodding off through most of the first half anyway. Dad and Jodie were mostly focusing on decorating the dining room and kitchen for Christmas. They were finishing up the living room when I arrived.

Jodie decided she was tired of turkey after this weekend (and I certainly had plenty at home), so we just ordered Chinese. That's probably a far bigger treat for me than a hot turkey sandwich would be. I rarely eat Chinese on outings. They give you so much, and it's a lot to eat and carry home when I'm out running around. She got spare ribs; I had a delicious shrimp and vegetables with cashews and an egg roll. We shared hot egg drop soup.

The food was far better than the game. The Eagles started well; they were up 28-14 at halftime. Unfortunately, they started making mistakes in the third quarter, allowing the Dolphins to catch up in a hurry. The Dolphins finally pushed past them 37-31.

I walked home in the continuing rain even before the game ended. Went straight into writing when I got in. Patti's suspicious of Malade's intentions, to the point where the evil mer-witch gets fed up and shoves the potion into her hand. Wanting to meet Donald, she finally agrees to drink it, despite losing her soul to Malade if she can't get him to love her. She genuinely likes him and figures it's worth the risk.

Finished the night with Dickens' Christmas Carol while eating a very small yogurt-and-cranberry sauce dinner. This 1974 album is the original version of Mickey's Christmas Carol, right down to Alan Young playing Scrooge for the first time. There's quite a few things that would eventually be changed for the big screen. Merlin the Magician from The Sword In the Stone is the Ghost of Christmas Past; the Evil Queen in hag mode from Snow White is Christmas Future. The story was originally a full-blown musical, with eight songs, including reprises. To tell the truth, most of them aren't terribly memorable anyway, although I do like the delicious tribute to "Money" for Scrooge and Mickey Cratchit. (I'm not the only one who liked that song. I had a later cassette version of Mickey's Christmas Carol that used "Oh What a Merry Christmas Day" and eliminated all the songs but that one, which turned up at the very end as filler.)

No comments: