Friday, December 13, 2019

Wet Christmas

Cheered up a gloomy, gray morning with breakfast and Mickey's Christmas Carol. Despite the title, the real star of this Disney Dickens adaptation is Uncle Scrooge, playing his miserly namesake. Here, Jiminy Cricket is the Ghost of Christmas Past, Goofy's a better Marley than you might think, and Big Pete is a surprisingly effective and scary Ghost of Christmas Future.

Work was just as quiet as it has been since after Thanksgiving. Most people are likely still shopping right now and won't be thinking about their Christmas parties and dinners until next week. I spent the first half of the day gathering carts and shelving items, then swept the store and got the outside recycling after another bagger arrived. Helped the managers move gift cards from one Christmas display to another for for the last half-hour.

Got my schedule while I was there. I have a great one, probably the best I've had in months. All morning work, 9 or 10 AM, with Sunday, Tuesday, and next Friday off. I asked for next Friday and the Friday after that to burn off my remaining paid days off I keep forgetting I have. I'll have plenty of time to start the holiday baking.

Had a quick lunch as soon as I got home, then packed up Lauren's gifts and cookies to send out. Continued on to The Small One while I got organized. A little boy in ancient Jerusalem is upset that he has to sell his beloved old donkey in town. He tries to find someone to take him, but the merchants either make fun of them, or want to harm the animal. They finally find a kind gentleman who is interested in Small One...one who says he needs a donkey to carry his wife to Bethlehem...

Started to shower just as I left. It wasn't really bad yet when I pulled in at the Oaklyn Post Office. They had a short line, but the wait wasn't long. A very cheerful clerk (for a lady who claimed she'd barely had enough time to sit down, let alone go to the bathroom) rang up my package and sent it quickly on its way.

The rain remained light as I rode down to Newton Lake Park. Surprisingly, there were a lot of people out walking dogs, despite the precipitation. I guess a lot of people wanted to let their dogs run out their energy before the weather got worse. It's very much winter in the park now. The leaves are almost all gone from the trees, the grass is yellow, and the plants along the water are bare and brown.

The Haddon Township Library wasn't really busy when I arrived. I shelved DVDs, mainly adult titles and a few kids' ones. Didn't take out quite as much this week. They have the first My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic holiday episode on another disc. Having enjoyed the female-lead heist capers Ocean's 8 and Widows last year, I thought I'd give The Hustle a try. The Tim Burton Dumbo didn't get the best reviews earlier this year, but it looked cute enough to check out.

Had to make a few stops on the way home. I really wanted to finish my Christmas shopping. AC Moore is shutting down; I was able to pick up tins for Mom and Anny's cookies, a new copper snowman cookie cutter, purple sprinkes, and cupcake papers there. They weren't too bad, but Target was really busy. I still manged to find Legos for Collyn and something for Skylar there, along with my favorite Betty Crocker gingerbread cookie mix that only appears at this time of year and a hot cocoa mug and mix bag for the gift exchange.

Dodged the traffic on the White Horse Pike and Cuthbert Road and headed home. By this point, the rain was coming down much harder. It would really pick up after I got in and has been falling steadily and heavily ever since.

Managed to get a little writing in. I re-wrote the last sequence to quickly introduce our next Legendary Princess, Della (Reece). She's a stout, plain-spoken, extremely strong black woman who recognizes Brett on sight and nearly crushes her fingers shaking her hand. Nipsey's smitten, but Della has a small problem....

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had leftovers, then wrapped the last two gifts. (I need a bag for the mug. I'll get that tomorrow.) The only non-food item I have left to buy is my niece Lilah's birthday gift. It's next month, but I intend to send it along in her family's box with their Christmas presents.

Finished the night with Scrooge. I discussed this 1970 musical Christmas Carol with Albert Finney as the famous miser at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog last year.

No comments: