Saturday, August 26, 2023

Harvests and Pricing Games

Started off the morning with breakfast and Garfield In the Rough. Garfield isn't thrilled when Jon takes him and Odie camping on their vacation. Where's his TV and lasagna? Jon's idea of paradise gets a lot scarier when it turns out there's a panther loose in the area, and Garfield's the only one who can keep his human and dog friend from getting hurt.

Headed out for the farm market after Garfield ended. Despite the hot, humid weather, the farm market teemed with people buying produce for their birthday parties and end-of-the-summer get-togethers. Blueberries are gone, replaced by the first grapes of the season and more apple varieties. I bought super-sweet black grapes from a grape seller, apples and white peaches from the orchard seller, dill cheese from the dairy booth, even sweeter cherry tomatoes, and delicious moist oat honey bread from The Lost Bread bakery booth.

Went straight home and into Stand Up and Cheer! while I had lunch and put everything away. I go further into the peculiar Depression-era backstage story that made Shirley Temple a star at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.  


Hurried off to work the moment the movie ended. Work was a bit of a pain. It was off-and-on busy. We'd have long lines and no help, then it would suddenly die and I'd be bored again. There was at least one woman who gave me an attitude and took forever to unload her three orders. And I had one of those long lines and was late shutting down, which meant I was almost late getting out. My break was late, too. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Finished the night at the Price Is Right: The Barker Era Roku channel honoring Bob Barker, who passed away today at 99. They're currently in 1983, which I only vaguely remember. I wouldn't be surprised if I did watch these episodes with Mom. Like many people, I fondly recall watching The Price Is Right during the summer, or when I was home sick (especially after I got my own little black-and-white TV in 1987). It was part of "my" game show schedule in the late 80's with Card Sharks and Family Feud

I watched it again in college, when I was off a class sick or doing school work in the morning. Bob and Rod Roddy and the Barker's Beauties and pricing games were always just there when you needed cheering up or cheers in the background. I may not appreciate how he treated his models, but I do like how he was our go-to man to make our mornings a little brighter. 

No comments: