Wednesday, December 06, 2023

A Little Bit of Winter Weather

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and Charlie and Lola. Charlie teaches Lola about how crazes work when she sees him, Marv, and all her friends at school playing with hula hoops. "I am Making a Craze," says Lola, but it's harder than it looks. She creates a game that involves trying to get a rubber band ball into a cup that may do the trick, if she can get anyone to notice it.

Took Uber to work after that. No trouble there today. They arrived in 6 minutes going to the Acme, 5 going home. No traffic anywhere at any time. Got me there and back in less than five minutes. 

Most of work wasn't a problem, either. We just weren't that busy. Most people are focusing on Christmas shopping at the malls and online right now, or decorating their homes. I mostly swept the store and did carts. I did have to put away a cart full of cold returns someone hadn't wanted. The managers insisted I do it right away, which meant I couldn't finish sweeping and fell behind on the carts. Good thing I was almost done by that point anyway. 

(I also discovered that the Acme's employee Christmas party is on the 23rd, a little later than last year. That works for me. I can put off doing the cookies and fudge until the week of the 18th.)

It was cloudy for most of the morning. I even saw snow at two points, when I was waiting for Uber early on, and around 12:30-1 PM. Both showers ended quickly and didn't do much more than look pretty. The clouds started to break up as I went home, but they never entirely went away.

When I got home, I had lunch while watching Mickey and the Roadster Racers. It's a "Happy Hot Diggety Dog Holiday" as each of the racers pair off for the Ornament Palooza. They drive to various locations across Hot Dog Hills to find an ornament. The racers who get across the finish line with the most ornaments will win a beautiful tree star. Chip & Dale want to win each other the star, but they pair off with Goofy and Donald instead of helping each other. Minnie, Daisy, and Cukoo-Loca are "Happy Holiday Helpers" when they end up helping most of Hot Dog Hills figure out their holiday problems instead of getting ready for their Christmas party. 

My friend Linda Young sent me two packages of Christmas presents. Two, the Star Wars Extended Universe novel The Crystal Star and the 40's-set coming of age story Red Sky At Morning, were unwrapped. I'll read those after the New Year. The wrapped presents will be opened on Christmas morning. There was also a lovely card depicting a wintry Christmas scene in the city. 

Settled down for a nap after the cartoon ended. I was up a little too late last night and pushed carts for a lot of the morning. I was just plain tired. I went down at 3 and slept until almost 5:30.

Worked on writing for a while after I rolled out of bed. The tower room Cora enters is filled with dolls of every description. Harron appears and tells her that he changed Stephen into a doll. If she can't find him among the dolls, she'll become a doll, too.

Broke for dinner at 7 PM. Watched Match Game Syndicated while I ate. The first episode started off crazy when Betty White tried walking off the set. It ended with Charles showing off the minuscule diamond pendant Jack Klugman supposedly gave Brett. Patty Duke sported a luxurious black fur coat throughout the second episode.

Finished the night online after a shower with episodes of Norman Lear shows in honor of his passing yesterday at the ripe old age of 101. Maude was the first spin-off of All In the Family. It became a hit in its own right, thanks to Beatrice Arthur's performance as the forceful, liberal title character. In "The Office Party" from the second season, her husband Walter (Bill Macy) is proud to think of the employees of his small appliance store as family, until he learns they want to unionize. He's upset, but Maude points out that it's not the end of the world. 

The Jeffersons was one of my favorite shows when I was little. My stepdad was a huge fan. He loved George Jefferson! I wouldn't be surprised if I saw "All I Want For Christmas" in re-runs. Louise convinces George to play Santa for children in an orphanage. He's able to get most of them what they want...except for the one boy who wants a family for the holidays.

All That Glitters was Lear's second shot at a soap opera spoof after Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. As outlined in the opening song, in this world, women run Globetron Corporation, while the men stay at home and wonder where their lives are going. It wasn't well-received at the time, but honestly, I liked it. Lois Nestleton and Chuck McCann in particular were rather sweet as the Globetron executive and her husband who wants more of a life for himself. Most of this show is currently lost; I hope more of it turns up eventually. Someone posted a full episode on YouTube earlier today:

No comments: