Thursday, December 21, 2023

I Believe In Christmas

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Mickey's Choo-Choo Express" is on its way across the Clubhouse world to pick up their friends, so they can enjoy Professor Ludwig Von Drake's never-melting snow. They get Clarabelle, her puppy Bella, and Chip and Dale on time...but there's also two mystery guests on Mistletoe Mountain to pick up, and then Conductor Pete wants to join in on the fun, too.

The most recent Shaun the Sheep release in the US is the holiday special The Flight Before Christmas on Netflix. Shaun and the flock follow their master and a reluctant Bitzer to their town's Christmas Market when little lamb Timmy gets caught in a gift. He's accidentally given to the neglected son of a popular chef and a media personality who light up the town tree. Shaun and the flock follow him to the couple's very modern and elaborate house to rescue him.

Headed out for grocery shopping after Shaun ended. Since it worked out really well last week, I went on foot again. The weather was even better for it. It remains gorgeous here, sunny and mid-40's, without a hint of wind. In fact, it felt really warm in the sunshine. The park was still fairly quiet on my way there. I saw a few dog walkers and some seagulls and ducks enjoying the sparkling green waters. There were a lot more joggers and people out for strolls when I finally headed home. Did my best to avoid the puddles and thick mud still leftover from that storm on Saturday.

The Westmont Acme was bustling when I arrived. I kept running into people who were also looking around the small store. Bought treats for Rose's dogs and cats and the cat that belongs to a friend to finish out my Christmas shopping. Everything else I picked up - yogurt, grapes, oranges, another bag of those On the Border Holiday Chips - were the usual groceries. I have absolutely no desire to do any kind of shopping this weekend. I know the stores are going to be insane. I won't be shopping again until Tuesday.

Watched Tattletales and had lunch after I got home. Buzzr stuck to the show's early years. This time, Betty and Allen are joined by Pat Harrington and his wife Marjorie and Gavin MacLeod and his then-new bride Patti. As newlyweds, Gavin and Marjorie had by far the best stories. Gavin told how they were vegetarians who had carrot cake for their wedding and how they went to great expense to lay down gas pipes for their new dryer, only to discover it was an electric model.

Headed back out after the shows ended. I'll give Rose her family's Christmas gifts on Christmas Day and Jessa hers when we get together next Thursday, but I wanted to give out the gifts that go to neighbors on the other side of Oaklyn while I had the chance and the weather remained nice. I did give Brittanie's boxes to her son Ryan as he arrived home from school. They have a huge, energetic black lab named Gunther, and I was afraid he'd get to them on their steps. Left everyone else's on their porch or steps. 

Stopped at Common Grounds Coffee House for a treat and a drink. Their Almond Poppy Muffin was delicious, very nutty and just sweet enough. I thought the Eggnog Crusher was a chilled eggnog drink. Turns out it was a chilled coffee drink. Yuck! I read the sign wrong. It was too bitter. I barely drank half before tossing it. 

Went online after I got home. I first checked my schedule for next week...and just about fell off my chair when I realized I had Christmas Eve off. I'm already on vacation from Christmas Day through New Year's Day, but the last thing I expected was for them to give me Christmas Eve. Research on this blog revealed that the last time I had Christmas Eve off was 2011, and I asked for that to go down to Mom and Dad's house with Rose and her family. I don't think I've ever had a Christmas Eve off I didn't ask for. They probably have more than enough high school and college boys who can sweep and push carts during the holiday weekend.

Watched Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey next. I go further into this delightful holiday fantasy adventure at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Moved onto Match Game PM during dinner. Fannie Flagg sat in for Brett Somers during the first episode while the latter was doing a play. Gene strips off his jacket and vest to show off his body when the contestant says him as the answer to whose body a woman's boyfriend has. Richard doesn't have much luck with "__ Boone" in the Head-to-Head in the next episode, thanks to there being two Boones who were popular in 1977.

Let Match Game Syndicated run after I finished. David Doyle was a riot in these episodes. In the first one, he wears a hat very similar to Charles' in an attempt to imitate him. In the second, he protests the Star Wheel landing on him four times in a row. Gene, Fred Grandy, and Bill Daily are more concerned about the turntable moving too quickly and having to turn it back themselves. 

Finished the night with The House Without a Christmas Tree. Journey isn't the only smart pre-teen who is having trouble connecting with a male parent. Eleven-year-old Addie Mills (Lisa Lucas) wishes her taciturn father James (Jason Robards) would buy a Christmas tree. Christmas trees - and Addie - remind James too much of the beloved wife he lost. Grandma (Mildred Natwick) keeps trying to encourage him, but he's just as stubborn as his daughter. Addie finally wins her school tree, but James is upset that she accepted charity. When Addie gives the tree away, James finally realizes how important it is to his daughter.

Lovely and charming story of a family healing during the holidays. I'm especially fond of Grandma, who offers sage advice while "skipping" pancakes across the room and turning sheets into angel costumes. Highly recommended for families during the holidays, especially those with girls Addie's age. 

No comments: