Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Decorating Angels

I overslept this morning. It was almost 11 before I got rolling. Had a quick breakfast while watching Tom & Jerry: Santa's Little Helpers on Tubi. Tom lives in a mail room, but he's not happy with his job there. He accidentally ends up at the North Pole when he gets stuck in a mail sack along with his letter to Santa. He's taken in by Mrs. Claus, but his attempts to chase Jerry and Tuffy end with one of the puppies who is supposed to be given to a child for Christmas left behind. The trio have to figure out how to work together in order to deliver the puppy to its new owner. 

Worked on writing for a while after the cartoon ended. Cora makes her way up a winding, crumbling staircase, only to find that the top of the tower is guarded by a vicious dog. She suspects that the dog may also be hungry and gives it the two loaves of bread, then sneaks past it and into the tower room.

Switched to Match Game '75 at noon. Buzzr continues with its Bob Barker marathon here, running two episodes from one of the best weeks of the year. Bob's joined by fellow game show legend Arlene Francis as they help sweet Carol Bartos become the all-time champ at that point. 

Karen picked me up at 1 PM. We did put in an application, but other than that, there wasn't much to be done. Most of what's out there is for health care, which neither interests me, nor is something I know much about. I enjoyed seeing her photos of her family visiting Longwood Gardens outside of Philadelphia, though. The lights on the trees and the glass conservatory were truly spectacular. 

Had lunch at the Westmont Diner on the hill under the Haddon Township Library. They were fairly busy, even at 2:30. Since I had crepes on Sunday, I had their Country Jack Omelet - mushrooms, bacon, and Swiss cheese, with home fries and thick slices of whole wheat bread. The omelet was wonderful, and the bread was nicely chewy. I did finish those, though I could only manage half of the home fries.

Had to run a few errands at the Westmont Plaza and do them quickly to avoid the teenagers coming out of the middle school and two high schools within walking distance of the shopping center. Stopped at Sprouts first, mainly for coconut milk. I also picked up yogurt and found cotton candy grapes on clearance. Finished my Christmas shopping at Target with something for my niece Finley. Grabbed more of those donut-glazed almonds and a bag of cranberries, which were far cheaper at Target than at Sprouts. 

Called Uber going home. No trouble here. They arrived in less than six minutes and got me home in less than five. Maybe it's just as well that I did take Uber home. It's relatively warm here, in the lower 50's, but also cloudy and very damp. 

Soon as I got home, I took the laundry downstairs, then put up the rest of the Christmas decorations. I have so many wonderful things, and each one tells a story. Winter Cinderella and the tin with vintage Disney characters from the 60's came from yard sales. Mom gave me the little nutcracker and basket filled with greenery. She made the holly-print bear, the stuffed "gingerbread" people and stars, and the printed stuffed elves herself in the 80's and 90's and sent me the tiny tree in college. I picked up the mini-lights and silver snowflake garland on the tree from Jo Ann's. My good friend Linda Young made me the cute "HoHoHo" and "FaLaLa" signs about a decade ago. 

Most of my Christmas Beanie Baby bears - Herold the Angel, Wallace, "The Beginning" (whom I call Ginny), the 1998 bear with the jingle in his hat - were yard sale finds. Jessa gave me Gift, the green angel bear, for Christmas a few years ago. The darling stuffed Rudolph with the nose that lights up when you squeeze him came from the Acme's post-Christmas clearance sales. Aunt Terri gave me the tin with the first seven American Girls in their holiday outfits in the early 2000's. 

After everything went up (and I finally remembered to put my laundry in the dryer), I watched Saturday Night Fever on Amazon Prime. I go further into the movie that made disco the music of the late 70's and John Travolta a superstar at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Returned to Buzzr for Match Game Syndicated while I ate dinner and put my laundry away. Alfie Wise, Patty Duke, and Bill Daily join in as everyone spends two fruitless rounds trying to match two hapless contestants who just do not get the game. It isn't until the tie breaker that Brett finally matches someone...and she gets a standing ovation for doing so! Patty does equally well with "__ Affair" on the Head-to-Head in the second episode, despite her own misgivings.

Stayed in the 70's for the remaining shows online tonight. Charlie's Angels are "Island Angels" while investigating a terrorist organization that's in Hawaii to assassinate a diplomat. They manage to catch one would-be killer, but learn that another has checked in at a resort for singles. Kris staffs the bar, Julie and Bosley pose as a photographer and a journalist writing about the swinging singles scene in Honolulu, and Kelly works with the police. 

Mary Richards on The Mary Tyler Moore Show is a little tired of everyone saying "Have I Found a Guy for You." Even her longtime friends (Bert Convy and Beth Howland) have tried it. The last thing she expected was for them to agree to a divorce...or for him to want to date her. 

Christmas is a rough time for the members of the 4077th on MASH, as Father Mulcahey explains via a letter to his sister in "Dear Sis." As one of the few people at the base who isn't a surgeon or a doctor, he feels underappreciated. No one will come to his sermons, and he's horrified when he has to hit a soldier to get him to settle down. It's not until he gets Winchester a special gift and Hawkeye reminds him that he isn't perfect that he realizes just how loved and needed he is. 

No comments: