Saturday, December 23, 2023

Welcome Christmas

Began the morning with breakfast and two classic Christmas specials, the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Bernstein Bears' Christmas Tree. I go further into both at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Let it continue into Mole's Christmas after that. In this adaptation of a chapter from The Wind In the Willows, Mole is horrified when he realizes he's spent too much time at his friend Rat's home and neglected his own. He claims he has nothing to give his friend when they do find it, but Rat digs up enough odds and ends from Mole's cupboards to make a nice Christmas dinner. They find things to feed and give as gifts to adorable mice carolers, too.

Worked on writing for a while. Betty claims that the Sugar Plum Fairy and her cavalier tried to hold off the mice, but vanished while doing so. They need their magic to help them fend off the mice. 

Left for work a little bit early. No trouble with Uber either way. Got a ride to work in 4 minutes. I managed to find a ride home in 6 minutes, even at the tail end of rush hour. Little bit of traffic going home, but nothing really annoying.

I left early so I could drop off the cookies and enjoy a meal at the Acme's Employee Luncheon. One table held meatballs, hot roast beef, and hot dogs and sauerkraut for sandwiches. The next had salads, potato salad and macaroni salad and a greenish ambrosia. Desserts - my cookies, a cranberry cake, tiny cinnamon rolls, banana bread - were on the third table. I tried a little of everything but the ambrosia (I just didn't get to it), the potato salad (I prefer pasta salads), and the hot dogs (they give me heartburn). The banana bread was really good, moist and just sweet enough.

Wish the rest of the day was that much fun. I was outside pushing carts almost the entire afternoon. It was a noisy mess from start to finish. I rushed around fast as I could, and I still couldn't keep up with them. I'd no sooner fill one side than the other side would be empty. The tree lot was being taken down and blocking a lot of the back, too. I did have the morning bagger outside occasionally, but after he left at 4, I was alone. And once again, they kept calling me to sweep or return cold items, and I just couldn't get to the carts. At least I was able to get out at a decent time.

At least I got some appreciation. The floral manager was so happy with how I helped her these past few weeks, she gave me a box of chocolate-covered Oreos. I gave her a really nice card. I also got a compliment early in the day from an elderly customer who said she liked how cheerful I always am. 

Once I got home, I had a quick dinner while watching the 1969 Rankin-Bass Frosty the Snowman. Frosty is brought to life by a magic hat that was thrown away by the inept Professor Hinkle. He wants the hat back now that it seems to be really magical, but Frosty manages to elude him. When Frosty claims it's getting too warm for him, little Karen and Hocus Pocus the bunny take him to the North Pole...but the Professor is on their trail...

Switched to YouTube for tonight's game show marathon. MGP switched the focus to the original Richard Dawson Family Feud for all of the Christmas Eve and Day episodes made during his run (now that all of them have been found). Whether big hair or straight hair, sideburns or shellacked do's, a few elements remained the same throughout the show's run. They seemed to use the same questions on Christmas Day about the names of Santa's reindeer and what families do on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. They used the same plastic decorations for almost the entire run, too. At one point I think in 1979, Richard played around with them and actually got stuck on a garland. In later seasons, some of the families would sing songs for Richard (and do rather well, too!) or bring him Christmas gifts. I really liked the weaving that joked about his "Kissing Bandit" nickname.

Call out your own family to play along and join the holiday Feud!


Watched the Lawrence Welk 1966 Christmas episode earlier in the day. Finished the night with two more. Lawrence Welk and his musical family also did annual holiday extravaganzas. They always began with everyone singing while decorating the tree and freezing in place for a "Christmas card," and ended with the children of the cast receiving gifts from Santa Claus after introducing themselves. 

Bobby Burgess joined Barbara Boylen to do a "Doll Dance" as Raggedy Ann and Andy in 1966. He and Cissy King performed "The Skater's Waltz" without ice in 1976. He did a polka with Elaine Niverson in 1981. By far his cutest partner was his own sweet little daughter Becky, who danced "Up on the Housetop" with him in '81. She wasn't the only talented girl dancer on the show, either. Drummer Paul Humphery's daughter Pier did an adorable tap routine in 1976 and an incredible acrobatic number in 1981. 

Some of the adults had fun, too. Anacani really got into "Feliz Navidad" in 1976. Arthur Duncan showed how to "Ring Those Bells" in 1976. He joined all of the dancers for "December the 25th," with Jack Imel as Santa Claus directing his elves in 1966. Also in '66, Jo Ann Castle did a fun honky-tonk "Frosty the Snowman" on her icicle-covered piano. Carolers in old-fashioned costumes serenaded the audience in 1966 and 1981. Jimmy Roberts and Norma Zimmer did "White Christmas" together in 1966, and Norma did a lovely "Silent Night." 

Let Lawrence Welk and his family play for your family at your own holiday get-together!

No comments: