Friday, December 22, 2023

Winter Dreams

Began the morning with breakfast and two holiday specials revolving around curious bears. Ted E. Bear doesn't want to be The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas. He'd do anything to stay awake and find out what this Christmas thing is. He eventually ends up in the city, where he meets a Santa who finally explains that Christmas isn't just a day or a concept. It's a feeling, and one best shared with those who need it most.

Teddy bears Christopher and Holly are The Bears Who Saved Christmas when their family is stranded in a cabin during a snowstorm. They want to find a tree and evergreens to make their holidays a little brighter. With the help of a flashlight that's scared of the dark and a compass with no sense of direction, they set out to find a way to bring Christmas magic to their family.

Headed to work after Christopher and Holly ended. At least I had no trouble with Uber. Took me 6 minutes to get a ride this morning. The car didn't even take a minute to arrive going home. There was some traffic on the White Horse Pike going home, but it wasn't too bad.

There was a ton of traffic at work, too. Work was a mess. It was busy from when I arrived until when I left. I had no help keeping up with the sweeping and the carts. By the second half of my shift, the managers wanted me to shelve fruit and vegetables that people didn't want and clean the bathrooms, too. The men's bathroom was a disaster area. That meant that I didn't get to the carts until I had five minutes left of my shift, which meant I didn't get much done. The head bagger was there, but she was cashiering.

The weather wasn't spectacular when I did make it outside, either. It was clammy, cold, and cloudy. At least it also wasn't windy, but it wasn't a very pretty day. We're supposed to get rain on Sunday and next week. I guess everyone wanted to avoid that. 

I did confirm my schedule for next week. Yes, I got Christmas Eve off, along with the rest of the week. I feel a little bad about it, though. I didn't realize the head bagger wanted next week off, too. I didn't mean to shove everything on the other baggers. I wish there was a way we could all coordinate our vacations, so one person in a department didn't end up shouldering the load for others when they aren't there.

Put on The Snowman when I got home in honor of the first day of winter. This lovely British short, based on a wordless picture book, has a little boy creating a snowman who comes to life in his dreams. He first shows him all the modern delights of his home. The snowman then takes him on a flight to the North Pole, where he meets other snowmen and Father Christmas himself.

Switched to White Christmas while half-napping in the game chair. I went further into this classic Bing Crosby-Danny Kaye holiday extravaganza at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog in December 2018.


Watched Santa Claus Is Coming to Town online next. I also discussed this one at my blog (along with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog earlier in December 2018.


Worked on writing after that. Queen Betty tells the worried Nutcracker that Princess Clara-Marie remains under a spell, and she's still wooden and laying on a bed. Brett the Sugar Plum Fairy and Charles the Cavalier had the nut that could save her, but they've vanished.

Broke for dinner and Match Game PM at 6:30. Betty White is the only one who understands a question about what a doctor uses a stick of dynamite to cure. Richard Dawson has more trouble with "Who's Afraid of __" in the Head-to-Head.

Match Game Syndicated continues to be a wild week. Birthday boy Gene Rayburn (he would have been 106 today) stuck the "B" from the question holder on his forehead when it fell off. David Doyle's nervous that he's come up for the fifth time that week on the Head-to-Head. He just hopes that he can get "Long and __" this time.

Finished the night at YouTube. The Bishop's Wife is currently free with ads there. Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) is desperate to convince rich widow Mrs. Hamilton (Gladys Cooper) to help him build a lavish cathedral. He prays for guidance...which arrives in the form of Dudley (Cary Grant), a debonair angel. Dudley proceeds to charm his sweet wife Julia (Loretta Young), their servants, their daughter Debbie (Karolyn Grimes), and even the kindly Professor (Monty Wooley). The only person who isn't delighted with him is Henry. Henry finally realizes that Julie and Debbie are more important than any cathedral when he worries he might have lost them to a supernatural being.

The first version of this story, later remade as The Preacher's Wife with Don Cheadle and an equally-debonair Denzel Washington. Niven, Grant, and especially Young are all wonderful as the leads. Young in particular is so luminous, you can understand why a bishop and an angel nearly end up fighting over her. Wooley has some good moments as the crusty Professor who figures out what's going on with Dudley well before any other mortal besides Henry. This warm, cozy film is highly recommended to watch while snuggled up on a cold holiday night. 

No comments: