Saturday, December 02, 2023

Oh Christmas Tree

Began the morning with breakfast and The Enchanted World of Danny Kaye: The Emperor's New Clothes. I go further into this Rankin-Bass adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on writing for a bit after that. Florrie reveals why Stephen didn't want to rule his kingdom by force and wouldn't let Harron do it. Stephen had gone to war, but his experience on the battlefield left him with no taste for violence. Harron spent the time he was away at war perfecting his spells and abusing the animals and objects in his fortress. 

Cora has no trouble once she's on her way, thanks to the yarn Florrie gives her that will lead her to wherever she wants to go. She does stop in a clearing for lunch, but it's getting awfully dark...

Got organized while watching Scooby Doo: Haunted Holidays on Tubi. Mystery Inc finds themselves caught up in a chilly mystery when a sudden snowstorm strands them at a troubled toy shop that's been losing business. The owner's nephew claims that the monstrous snowman Scooby and Shaggy ran into at a local parade is part of a curse by an elderly man who used to live in the mansion across the street and resented the toy shop when it was built. The kids have to solve this frozen mystery and avoid the snowman with the help of a certain holiday figure in a red suit.

Of course, it ended up taking longer than I figured to find an Uber driver. When I did finally get one, they took 15 minutes to arrive! And then they almost missed the turn-off to the Acme. Thanks to all of that, I was a few minutes late.

That's not the only trouble I had today. The poor head floral department manager fell down and hurt her wrist badly less than ten minutes after I arrived. That meant I had to handle putting out the flowers and trimming the ends and organizing them by myself, and that was when the other managers weren't pulling me to do cold returns. And I lost time when a container of flowers I overfilled spilled and I had to mop up the mess. It didn't help that the store was far busier than it has been, too. It's the beginning of the month, and many people have likely finished Thanksgiving leftovers enough by now to restock. 

Grabbed peanut butter and popcorn after work, which I forgot on Wednesday. And of course, I had just as difficult of a time getting a ride home. This time, it took me nearly 16 minutes. Thankfully, despite traffic on the White Horse Pike, they had less trouble getting home. 

When I did finally get home, I put everything away, changed, then pulled out the Christmas tree. My tree is fake. I've had it for 22 years. Mom gave it to me for an early Christmas present my first year on my own. There was a huge old heater in the apartment in Wildwood where I lived then, and I didn't trust a live tree around it. It took me a while to figure out what went where, but I did manage to get all the branches on, then put on the lights and tinsel garland. Amanda will help me hang the ornaments when she visits tomorrow.

Watched The Year Without a Santa Claus as I worked. I went further into my favorite Rankin-Bass holiday special at my musical blog on Christmas Eve in 2019.


Finished the night at YouTube with the return of the Match Game weekend marathons. The truly unique comedienne Patti Deustch started on Match Game in 1973 and appeared through the early syndicated episodes in 1979. Patti sat in the fourth seat for her first few appearances, but she was more commonly seen in the sixth seat. She's notorious among Match Game fans for her truly off-the-wall answers and unique deadpan sense of humor. You couldn't always count on her matching, but you could count on her answer being very different. 

She started off during a memorable week in 1973 with Jim Backus where Gene asked if he could "get a little milk" (the answer) from her. She was understandably offended. Patti and her equally strange comedy writer husband Donald Ross did a week together in 1974 where they helped sweet contestant Janet Finn become the show's all-time big winner at that point. She was on the crazy week in 1975 with Joan Collins where Gene kept abusing cameramen and a truly memorable nighttime show where everyone saluted a handsome Scottish officer in full uniform.

My favorite later episode with Patti was one she wasn't originally supposed to have been on at all. Apparently, Fannie Flagg forgot she was supposed to appear on a week early in 1979, and Patti ended up replacing her at the last minute. She and Dick and Dolly Martin got to see a contestant get so excited, she practically dragged poor Gene around the studio. Gene hid from her, but Nipsey Russell had no trouble running over for a squeeze!

Get ready to hear some truly bizarre answers you'll get from nowhere else but the mind of one of the most unique ladies to ever appear on game shows!


Oh, and I put in for my next vacation tonight. I enjoyed my time off between Christmas Day and New Year's Day so much last year, I decided to do it again. Christmas Day is volunteer-only anyway, and after working Thanksgiving, I'd like at least one holiday off. Besides, we're usually quiet in the week between Christmas and New Year's. Some people do make big dinners for New Year's, but most are either recovering from the holiday or waiting for the beginning of the month. 

No comments: