Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Pure Imagination

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and the first episode of Green Eggs and Ham on Netflix. Somehow, the simple story was turned into "Here," the surprisingly touching tale of failed inventor Guy (Michael Douglas) who encounters an enthusiastic little guy named Sam I Am (Adam DeVine) at a diner after missing the bus. Sam keeps pushing his favorite dish green eggs and ham on everyone, but Guy refuses. There's a Chickargriffe (Dee Bradly Baker) missing from the zoo. Little EB (Illana Glazer) is hoping to catch it despite her worried single mother's (Diane Keaton) fretting over everything. Sam, however, has his own connection with who freed the Chickargriffe, and why it's now running loose...

Headed out after that. Since it was relatively late and I didn't trust Mother Nature, I took Uber. No trouble here, not even traffic. Let let me off at the theater in just  a little over ten minutes. I went straight into a nice, quiet lunch at Applebees, since I wasn't sure how long the movie would run. I enjoyed by grilled chicken and bacon sandwitch and crispy, salty fries. Went to the stores on the other side of the movie theater to buy a Pepsi Zero at Dollar Tree.

Even with all that, I was still 20 minutes early for Wonka. Was disappointed to learn that the Fandango card only works for ordering tickets online. I'll just use it next month when Mean Girls: The Musical comes out. Stopping at Dollar Tree proved to be a wise decision, too. The lines for the concession stand went half-way across the lobby; I didn't bother with them. I just ended up following the twisty halls to the theater instead.

Mean Girls was definitely the most interesting commercial. I still haven't gotten around to seeing the original film, let alone its musical version! I really need to do that one of these days. Migration looks cute, but nothing I'm going to go out of my way to see. Maybe when it debuts on streaming. 

As for Wonka, I go further into that at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Though the weather remained gray and a bit warm for this time of  year, it wasn't raining, snowing, or doing anything besides be gloomy. It wasn't even windy. I had enough time for a stroll up the hill to the giant Walmart. I was hoping to pick up the Wonka soundtrack like I did with the one for Barbie, but it would seem that it won't be out on physical media until next month. Did grocery shopping instead. Bought yogurt, Propel drink mix, and granola bars; found a container of sugar-free oatmeal raisin cookies on clearance. 

The bus home showed up on time for a change. No trouble here, either. There were more problems with people chattering with the driver and distracting him and blocking riders coming on than with the relatively minimal traffic. Got off on the White Horse Pike with no trouble.

Went into writing when I got home. I couldn't get anything going with Nutcracker Blank, so I returned to The Wizard of Blank. Joyce is worried about the dark forest ahead. Richard and Charles are less so, although Charles does hope that no animals there eat straw.

Broke at 7 PM to check out Match Game Syndicated. Fred Grandy sticks around for this week, this time moving to Charles' seat. Joe Santos takes the male ingenue chair, joined by Eva Gabor and Betty White. The show made history with Glenn, one of the first blind contestants to appear on a game show. Betty was more interested in his sweet and beautiful service dog Princess, who was aptly named (and probably smarter and better-behaved than many of the panelists). 

Finished the night with dinner while watching the first season Christmas episode of The Love Boat. It's "Lonely at the Top" for Captain Steubing, who isn't in the Christmas spirit and feels like he can't connect with his homesick crew. Father Mike (Dick Sargent), who has brought six orphan boys on a special cruise paid for by an anonymous donor, suggests he try to be involved with their lives, but Steubing just ends up trying too hard. An unhappy couple (Shecky Greene and Florence Henderson) try to find a way to say "Divorce Me, Darling" and end their relationship. It may be a "Silent Night" for a man (John Gavin) who was framed for a crime he didn't commit. His wife (Donna Mills) wishes he'd just live and let live, or at least deal with it in another way besides killing his former partner.

No comments: