Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Bad Day of the Flowers

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Daisy's Grasshopper" actually goes further back than most Disney fans realize. Wilbur originally starred in Goofy's very first short, "Goofy and Wilbur," in 1939. Goofy joins Daisy and the others in hopping after Wilbur when he jumps away before Professor Ludwig Von Drake can take his picture.

Actually headed off to work on time...and that was pretty much the last thing that went right all afternoon. Work was nothing short of a pain in the rear. I would do carts, only to be called to put away carts full of cold items people didn't want. It put me way behind with the carts and sweeping. It didn't help that we were busy all day with grouchy beginning-of-the-month people and elderly senior housing residents taking advantage of the senior discount we have on Tuesdays.

Even after I went to help the floral department manager, the managers up front still kept calling me to put cold items away. The college kid who took over for me was outside, trying to catch up with those carts. The floral department manager saw how flustered and upset I was and chewed out the front end managers, because she needed help, too. Thankfully, we were able to spend my last two hours making lovely little arrangements from the mini-bouquets in peace. I think most of them actually came out rather well, especially a yellow rose and carnation one that was perfect. Hastily put together a rose and sunflower arrangement just before I was almost late getting out.

Needless to say, I rushed home after that. At least the weather remains nice. It was gorgeous, sunny and warm, with a cool breeze. Looks like it's going to be that way for most of the week...and after it rains a little, it'll cool off even more.

Soon as I got home, I changed, took out the trash, and did a few chores before settling down to watch Sweetie. I go further into this rousing early talkie about a chorus girl who inherits a college at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Attempted to do the inventory next. I was so tired, I was only able to add My One and Only, New Girl In Town, The New Moon, and Nine. The New Moon is actually its original West End cast. The US wouldn't really do cast albums until the 1940's. I'm pretty sure My One and Only was something I picked up in Philly, but once again, I don't remember anymore. 

Watched Match Game '79 during and after dinner. In the first episode, Everyone, especially Scoey Mitchilll, has comments on Gene's Old Man Periwinkle reading in the first episode. Scoey scolds Fannie for constantly having the wrong answer, only to learn to watch his mouth when it turns out she did match this time.

Finished the night with recently-acquired CDs. Though the Monkees' first album does feature the hits "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" and "Last Train to Clarksville," it also has its fair share of clunkers. I prefer Micky's faster version of "I Wanna Be Free" to Davy's slower and sappier one, and "This Just Doesn't Seem to Be My Day" works better accompanying weird antics on the TV show. On the other hand, Mike has one of his best early songs, the rollicking "Sweet Young Thing," and Micky and Davy are hilarious in the comedy number "Gonna Buy Me a Dog." 

There's some winners in the additional material on this two-disc set, too. "So Goes Love" is one of Davy's better ballads, and we finally get to hear two Mike songs that made it to the TV show but not albums, "You Just May Be the One" and "All the King's Horses." Mike would later remake the lovely "Propinquity (I've Just Begun to Care)" with his own band in the 1970's, but even the First National Band version isn't as stripped-down and sweet as acoustic demo heard here.

Dean Martin: The Classic Years seems to mostly be recordings from TV or early singles. In addition to hits like "That's Amore" and "Everybody Loves Somebody," there's some deeper cuts. His duet on "Baby It's Cold Outside" is really cute, as is a charming "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face." I also like "Pennies from Heaven," "Takes Two to Tango," and a laid-back "Dream a Little Dream." 

No comments: