Thursday, September 12, 2024

Some Kind of Magic

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and The Muppet Show. Doug Henning was the most popular magician of the 70's who had just come off the run of the Broadway hit The Magic Show when he appeared in the fourth season. Fozzie's so impressed with his tricks, he tries to do a few tricks of his own backstage. It ends with rabbits running around all over the place after he hits his hat with his wand one too many times.

Hurried off to work after that. Pretty much the same deal it has been for the past couple of days. It was quiet the entire morning and early afternoon. Though I did get called to return cold items a few times, I spent most of the day outside. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. It remains nice here, despite the slightly increased humidity. There actually wasn't a lot for me to do, especially with the side parking lot across from Arby's being redone. 

Did some grocery shopping after work. I mainly needed to restock yogurt, popcorn, and the Poppi soda that's 2 for $4. Grabbed two of those tasty Oreo Coke Zeroes that were also on sale 2 for $4. I won't be getting to the farm market on Saturday, so I grabbed peaches too. Took advantage of an online coupon to pick up those Made Good soft breakfast bars.

Since I was in the area, I stopped at Lane Bryant on my way out. The underwear I bought in April was starting to get worn out. They were buy one, get one, so I bought six pairs for $40.

Once again took the long way home down Nicholson Road to avoid road work elsewhere. Nicholson Road was busy with the beginning of rush hour traffic. Once I got into Oaklyn, the traffic vanished, and I had no trouble getting home. I wish we'd get some rain, though. The trees and especially the grass is starting to look dry and crunchy again.

Watched The Price Is Right when I got home as I put everything away. The One Away game in this episode was especially funny. First of all, the sound effects people didn't play the right horn to indicate if the older lady had the correct number, which annoyed the heck out of Bob. Then, they didn't sound it after she changed all of them...because it was obvious she had them all right after the change. The lady was amused, but poor Bob looked like he wanted to either crawl into the floor boards or throw those numbers at someone.

Put on Evita after Price ended. I go further into this rock opera about controversial Argentinian first lady Eva Peron with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on the inventory next. Added Silk Stockings, Sophisticated Ladies, the original Mary Martin stage version of The Sound of Music, the original South Pacific, and a 1952 studio version of The Student Prince. Some of these go back pretty far. I picked up Sound of Music from the Haddon Township fall town-wide yard sale in 2011, South Pacific from Abbie Road on Valentine's Day 2012, and Student Prince from the Logan Presbyterian Church thrift shop almost exactly a year later. 

Broke for dinner and Match Game '73 at 7 PM. Charles returns here, along with Betty White, Jo Ann Pflug, and Betty White. We also hear cracks from Pat Harrington about Gene's very green suit jacket, learn why the contestant Sunny got her name, and hear from George, the first guy to work the slats behind the Super Match board.

Finished the night after a shower with classic rock records. The Moody Blues became known in the late 60's for their classical-inspired concept albums like On the Threshold of a Dream. I kind of bought this for the gorgeous surreal cover art, but I forgot how good the songs are here. "Send Me No Wine," "Dear Diary," "Never Comes the Day" and "The Dream" all beautifully reflect the discussion of the hippie dream of flower-power and a new consciousness.

I know the Moody Blues best for The Other Side of Life. The massive hit from this album, "Your Wildest Dreams," was one of my favorite songs when I was 7, and it remains my favorite Moody Blues song to this day. Other good ones here include "Rock and Roll Over You," the title song, and "Running Out of Love."

Led Zepplin hit the hard rock jackpot with their second self-titled album in 1971. "Stairway to Heaven" became the anthem for hard rockers everywhere. Other well-regarded songs here include "Black Dog," "Rock and Roll" and "Going to California." 

No comments: