Wednesday, September 04, 2024

Good Times, Bad Times

Started off a beautiful morning with breakfast and The Busy World of Richard Scarry. Sally Cat wails "Has Anyone Seen My Book?" when her favorite story goes missing. Huckle and Lowly have to get it back from the man they accidentally sold it to in a flea market. "P.J Pig's Brave Day" gives the squire a chance to be a hero when the real knights prove unsuited to rescue fair Princess Lily. Mr. Gronkle's nephew Vanderbilt wants to join the soccer team, but he's too slow. He thinks "Vanderbilt's New Shoes" will make him a soccer star, but what really gets him on the team is constant practice.

Frankly, I was not looking forward to work after all the trouble over the weekend. On one hand, I was able to mostly get the carts done with no trouble. I did get called in to put away a huge cart of cold items ten minutes before I was supposed to sweep the store. I rushed around so I could get everything done. 

Soon as I got home, I changed and went right back out. Like on Monday, it was simply too nice to hang around inside all day. The weather remains stunning here, sunny, breezy, dry, and in the lower 80's. Can't be more perfect for early September. 

I rode my bike over the train bridge and into Audubon. I've had drinks at the Brown Dog Cafe before, but never lunch. Ate a turkey and bacon croissant sandwich and a maple chai tea latte on a wrought-iron table on the sidewalk. It was too beautiful to eat indoors! I wasn't the only person who thought so, either. Even as I enjoyed my sandwich and thick ripple chips, a mother and daughter sipped their own drinks at another outside table. The sandwich was terrific, slathered with what I suspect was guacamole. The chai latte tasted of pumpkin spice and was too sweet.

When I got home, I vacuumed and Swiftered my rooms while watching The Monkees. I actually wanted to check out "The Monkees A La Carte" because none other than Harvey Lembeck of the Beach Party series plays a gangster out to take over a local restaurant. The Monkees pose as the Purple Flower Gang to get in on the mobster's gathering of other local criminals and stop them from taking over all crime in the city!

Dusted my rooms, made my bed, and added the CDs I listened to recently to the folders while watching Horse Feathers. I go into the Marx Brothers' take on college football tropes at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Spent an hour checking Indeed for jobs. When I found nothing interesting, I switched to the inventory. Finished Nine and added No Strings, the Columbia studio versions of Oh, Kay! with Jack Cassidy and Oklahoma! with Nelson Eddy and Kaye Ballard, the original cast of Oklahoma!, and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever. 

Moved to Match Game '79 while eating dinner. Nipsey Russell, Loni Anderson of WKRP, and Jack Jones, who sang the theme from The Love Boat, join in here. In the first episode, Brett walks off when they won't accept "cannon ball" for an answer. The second began with Gene auctioning off a poster of Loni in a bathing suit. Charles, of all people, "won" it and displayed it for the rest of the show.

Finished the night after a shower with recent record acquisitions. Ben Bagley's Leonard Bernstein Revisited is another collection of songs cut from musicals by the composer in question, from ones with short runs, or from his ballet Fancy Free or the off-Broadway revue By Bernstein. The opening "Conquering the City" was originally intended to open Wonderful Town, but apparently it was dropped when they didn't like the idea of beginning with a ballet. "Bright and Black," "President Jefferson March," and "Take Care of This House" are from the short-lived 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, which covered the relationship between black servants and the President and First Ladies in two centuries of White Houses. Nell Carter does especially well by "Bright and Black." Chita Rivera also has fun with "The Story of My Life," which was apparently cut from Wonderful Town when so-so singer Rosalind Russell couldn't manage it. 

I really need to be more careful when I buy records used. The Rolling Stones album didn't come with Between the Buttons, despite that being the cover. It came with the US version of the collection Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), and not even a copy that was in good shape. On one hand, it's hard to argue with some of their biggest early hits, including "Satisfaction," "Time Is On My Side," and "Good Times, Bad Times." On the other hand, I really wanted their actual albums. I think I'll just donate this one and keep looking. 

No comments: