Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Little Drops of Rain

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Mickey sets up a second carnival at the Clubhouse Farm, this time just for fun. "Mickey's Farm Fun Fair" features great games like a test-your-strength machine, and fun challenges like the egg and spoon race. Chip and Dale are determined to win something, but they end up being the heroes of the fair when they help save Donald from Willie's runaway giant peach.

Though it was only cloudy and thickly humid when I left, the streets were wet. I wasn't taking chances and called Uber. The driver picked me up in six minutes this morning. Unfortunately, they're still working on Nicholson Road. His driving around that and back out to the Black Horse Pike almost made me late. Thankfully, though it took 11 minutes for the driver going home to pick me up, he was from South Jersey and knew to avoid the road repairs.

For the most part, work was fairly quiet. It did pick up a little bit around 11:30-noon, but nothing like the week of Labor Day. Unfortunately, they called me to put cold items away...which put me behind on the carts. I only just caught up when I finished for the day.

(Incidentally, it showered a bit - and hard - on my way home. The rain ended just as I arrived. To my knowledge, it hasn't rained since.) 

After I got home, I changed and put on The Monkees. "The Prince and the Paupers" starts with a somewhat similar premise to "Royal Flush." Once again, the Monkees have to help a young royal wrest their throne from a dastardly relative...but in this case, the royal in question just happens to be Davy Jones' double. Prince Ludlow is a sweetheart, but he's also a shy young man who is scared of girls. Davy poses as him to woo a lovely socialite (Heather North) in order to keep his throne.

Switched to Road to Zanzibar next. I go further into the second Road To movie, this one spoofing African safari stories and jungle epics, at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on the inventory for a little while after the movie. Started in on the cast album CDs today. Did the A titles - the 1999 revival of Annie Get Your Gun, the original cast of Annie, the Elton John Broadway Aida from 2000, the supremely weird early Sondheim show Anyone Can Whistle, and the Decca operettas Babes In Toyland and The Red Mill. Lauren gave me Aida with an added live performance by Micky Dolenz, who was a replacement for the original Zozer, way back in 2004. I believe Annie and Babes In Toyland came from the Borders near the Hamilton Mall somewhere between 1999 and 2002. 

Broke for dinner and Match Game '73 at quarter of 7. Joyce Bulifant made her debut on the show in this episode, joining a wisecracking Morey Amsterdam and game show host and comedian Robert Q Lewis. Morey's quips and jokes were especially funny, and I really wish he appeared more often on the show after 1974.

Finished the night after a shower with more records and CDs I've acquired recently. The Wonder Woman LP must have came out in response to the popularity of the TV show. These short action-packed stories do sound like short episodes of the show, especially "Secret of the Magic Tiara" that has her hanging with two rather goofy-sounding buddies who get her into trouble.

Most people associate the 60's with rock or jazz...but the real number one group in that decade was Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Their albums sold in the millions, with the racy cover of Whipped Cream and Other Delights propelling it to number one in 1966. I've seen that around, but I think Going Places has more iconic music. The jaunty, honking "Tijuana Taxi" and bouncy "Spanish Flea" remain associated with them to this day and can be frequently heard as underscoring on everything from game shows to online channels.

Jazz master David Benoit is likely best-remembered today for his contributions to the later Peanuts specials, which is likely why The Best of David Benoit: 1987-1995 includes his versions of "Linus and Lucy" and Vince Guaraldi's "Cast Your Fate To the Wind." I seem to remember "Drive Time" turning up occasionally on jazz radio stations in the late 80's-early 90's as well. Other good songs here include "Freedom at Midnight" and "Mediterranean Nights." 

No comments: