Tuesday, September 17, 2024

The Road to Audubon

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Clarabelle's Clubhouse Carnival" is held to earn corn for the new chickens at the petting zoo. Everyone has a great time, from Mickey and Minnie guessing Pete's weight to Chip and Dale dunking Donald in the tank. They still can't make enough corn for the chickens, though, until Willie the Giant helps out.

Put on Road to Singapore next while looking at a few things online. I go further into the first Road To... movie with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Headed out around 1:30 for a bike ride and a short picnic. I'm not up to a lot of running around this week, but I did want to have another outdoor meal at Haddon Lake Park. The last time I went there in April, the pollen was so bad, all I did was sneeze. 

Tried Champs in Audubon for my sandwich. It's your basic burger and hoagie hole-in-the-wall, this one with an Eagles theme and a lot of memorabilia on the walls. The guy said they were out of turkey, but the roast beef hoagie was so huge, it needed a Styrofoam container and a paper bag to hold. They didn't have much in the way of drinks, so I picked up a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi two blocks down at the Speedy Mart convenience store. 

It was a nice, cool day for a picnic. The sun tried to come out once or twice and it was really humid, but it was also windy and far more tolerable than it has been. I had my giant sandwich at the same yellow and blue paisley-shaped tables on the hill overlooking Haddon Lake Park's walking path I did back in April. After I ate, I read a few things on my phone, then once again goofed off with the wooden xylophone and tubular bells surrounding the tables. 

Took the long way home across Audubon, dodging buses and kids coming out of school on my way. Stopped at Family Dollar on the way home. I wanted something to make peach cobbler. I didn't find them, but I did pick up a few sales. They're clearing out their school supplies. I grabbed thin and thick markers and new scissors. Also picked up a white binder. The jazz CDs are starting to outgrow their current binder. I'd like to eventually move the CDs to CD books, but this will do for now.

Put on The Monkees while I got everything organized at home. Peter's thrilled when he wins a free dance lesson at Renaldo's Dance-Au-Go-Go. "Dance, Monkees, Dance" is anything but fun when not only does it turn out to be a lifetime contract, but Micky and Mike get caught in it, too. Davy gets a job as a teacher in order to turn the tables and drive away Renaldo's (Hal March) customers.

Worked on the inventory after the Monkees ended. Added four animated and family soundtracks I forgot, An American Tail, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure, and The Muppet Show. Finally finished the vinyl cast albums with Walking Happy, What Makes Sammy Run?, Wish You Were Here, Wildcat, The Wiz, Wonderful Town, and Your Own Thing

Switched to Match Game '73 while eating dinner. McLean Stevenson was a total nut during the first week he appeared. He kept running out to kiss Richard and give him hickeys whenever he got a Head-to-Head right and complained about Brett never hearing the questions. Wish Nancy Dussault came back during the 70's run, too. Her dry humor added a lot to this week.

Finished the night with two more recent record finds while working on the Road to Singapore review. Crosby's rival narrates his own story in A Man and His Music. The anthology itself features some well-chosen hits, including "All Or Nothing At All," "I'll Be Seeing You," "Night and Day," "Come Fly With Me," "Witchcraft," and "Love and Marriage" that continue to be associated with Sinatra to this day. I just wish I could hear them better. The records were horribly scratched and battered. No wonder I found this in the dollar bin. It's in such lousy shape, I think I might toss it and see if I can find a better copy somewhere along the line.

Thankfully, Maureen McGovern's self-titled album was in near-mint shape. Although the lyrics for "Can You Read My Mind" ultimately weren't used in the 1978 Superman movie, McGovern's gorgeous rendition is still a favorite of mine. We also get the theme from the sitcom Angie "Different Worlds" and enjoyable covers of "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You," "Carolina Moon," and "He's a Rebel." 

No comments: