Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Dreaming of You

Began the morning with breakfast and The Busy World of Richard Scarry. Huckle, Lowly, and Mr. Frumble go on "A Trip Back In Time" when Mr. Frumble accidentally sends Mr. Fixit's new time machine back to a colonial Busytown. The two cave pigs try to build "Home Sweet Home" for their Neander-pig friend in a riff on "The Three Little Pigs." He destroys their first tries, but he's the one who adds something more useful to their stone house. Mail-pig P.S wishes she got letters every now and then. The kids become "P.S Pig's Special Friend" and write her letters signed "your special friend," until their teacher Miss Honey catches on.

Rushed to work after that. Same deal as yesterday. Work wasn't busy in the slightest. The weather is too nice, we're between holidays, and the kids are all back in school now. Pushed carts and swept the store with no trouble whatsoever.

I had a harder time getting home. First of all, I left my lunch bag at the Acme and had to go back for it. Then when I tried to get down the Black Horse Pike, I realized that utility trucks blocked the ramp into Oaklyn. Thankfully, the traffic on the longer way down Nicholson wasn't that bad. At least I got more of a chance to enjoy a warm, dry day and lovely breeze.

Put on The Monkees while I changed and got organized when I got home. Sweet bassist Peter Tork is "One Man Shy" when he gets a crush on a smart and pretty debutante. Her fiancee Ronnie Farnsworth (playwright George Firth) doesn't like that one bit. The other three do everything they can to try to make Peter look worthy in front of Valerie...but she knows that Peter does best when he's himself.

Spent the rest of the afternoon watching Selena, the 1997 biography of the tragic Mexican-American singer that propelled Jennifer Lopez to stardom. I go further into this at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on the inventory after that. Added She Loves Me, the 1946 version of Show Boat, the London revue Side By Side By Sondheim, the 1983 Tommy Steele London version of Singin' In the Rain, the recent Some Like It Hot, and Song of Norway. She Loves Me and Singin' go back the furthest. In September 2014, Jessa, Joe, and I checked out several thrift shops in Maple Shade and Pennsauken. I hit the jackpot in Maple Shade, picking up a ton of records, including these two. Too bad I don't think that thrift shop exists anymore. It was a great place.

Switched to Match Game '73 during dinner. Bert Convy returned during this episode and Nipsey Russell took over Charles' seat. Mary Ann Mobley made her debut as well, complete with her many long, rambling stories.

Finished the night with two classic rock albums. Blood, Sweat, and Tears were a wildly popular hard rock band in the late 60's and early 70's, peaking with their major hit "You've Made Me So Very Happy." I'm fonder of their other big hit, the rocking "Spinning Wheel." Other good songs on this Greatest Hits collection include "I Can't Quit Her," "Sometimes In Winter," and "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know." 

The Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyd's first shot at a "concept" album, exploring their wild lifestyle that led to the departure of their bassist Syd Barrett. I don't know if it has anything to do with The Wizard of Oz, but I do know that some of their best and most experimental work can be found here, including "Money," "Time," "The Great Gig In the Sky," and "Eclipse." 

No comments: