Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Kids In My Neighborhood

Did my laundry this morning. I played with Dolores' grandson Blake while she and Uncle Ken talked. Blake's about four years old, and a lot of fun. We watched Cats Don't Dance on Cartoon Network. After a while, Blake pulled out the big container of Beanie Babies under Uncle Ken's pool table, and we played with those. (Blake is particularly fond of the snakes.) Dolores offered to run some bills to the post office for me, since she and Blake were going there. Dolores also confirmed something I'd heard at work but wasn't sure about - the price of stamps went up again. Great. She said she'd get 1 cent stamps for my bills, and I'll pick up some more tomorrow.

After they left and I tossed my small load of laundry in the drier, I went out for a walk and to return the DVDs. I arrived at the Oaklyn Library just as a gaggle of day-school kids and their teacher were on their way out. I even held the door for them. They were so cute. One boy commented on my DVD of Meet the Robinsons; apparently, it's a favorite of his. A girl wore a High School Musical T-shirt. I lingered for a few moments in the library after bringing the DVDs to the desk, but I didn't take anything out. Between the two Scarlet Pimpernel books, the two used books, and catching up on other books I haven't read yet, I have plenty to read for now.

I ran into Erica in her car on the way back to Uncle Ken's. Erica was going to pick up her mother from downtown Philadelphia. She complimented me on the weight I've lost, and I asked her if she'd started back at the thrift shop yet. Apparently not until the end of the month, but she said for me to tell the woman on duty there tomorrow that she said "hi."

After I picked up the laundry and brought it home, I ate lunch, then headed to work. Work was busier than yesterday, but not so busy it felt out of hand, and once again, we had plenty of help and there were no major problems other than a few obnoxious people.

Lauren and I finally began our next main Monkees story tonight. It's probably a good thing we planned for this to be a light "road trip" story, since we won't have as much time to do it as usual before it's time to start the NEXT story!

No comments: