Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mammas Mia!

Happy Mother's Day to all mamas everywhere (including mothers whose children are four-legged, like my sister Rose and friends Tina and Linda). I did call my mother this evening after work. She was just getting ready to make my brother and dad dinner. Daddy tried to talk her into going out, but she didn't really feel like braving the crowds and said she didn't mind cooking. And yes, she received my card and enjoyed it.

Work was surprisingly steady for the first major holiday we've had since Easter in late March. Maybe it was because of the sunny (though windy) day, or maybe more people opted to take their mothers out to dinner. There were no major problems beyond a few annoying customers. Someone even put Ennterman's donuts and Acme bakery sticky buns in the back for Mother's Day. I had a sticky bun with lunch, but I'm not the biggest donut fan.

I finished watching Ratatouille when I came home from work. This was the big Pixar film from last summer, and considering the mixed reviews, I quite enjoyed it. It's certainly one of their most unusual films, the tale of a French rat who longs to become a great gourmet chef. He gets his chance when he's separated from his family and lands in Paris, where he helps a shy garbage boy in a once-great restaurant become top man and win the heart of a tough female sous chef. Ultimately, despite a somewhat down-beat ending, I found this to be a touching and sweet story of how one animal's dream is finally accepted by both friends and family...now matter how unusual that dream may seem to others.

No comments: