Monday, July 27, 2009

"Do Not Forsake Me, O' My Darlin'..."

I started today with a quick run to the bank. It was hot, cloudy, and humid, which may have contributed to the emptiness of the bank. I was in and out quickly. (Lauren later told me her bank was busy. I guess people came during their lunch hour.)

Work was steady-to-dead, with no major problems...with today's customers, that is. One of the managers pulled me out of the register around 1:30 and told me a customer had called and complained about me. Said I'd been fussing about my long schedule this week and my troubles with work. I had discussed it with some regular customers on Saturday, but I thought they'd been understanding. I guess not. I didn't get in trouble beyond a friendly warning, but I'm not thrilled, either. Even the manager thought it seemed rather bizarre, especially since she said the woman was calling about Saturday.

Picked up sugar and some items to make a pudding pie for Dad's birthday tomorrow after work, then headed home. I watched High Noon while making the pudding pie and eating leftover poached chicken legs, romaine and summer vegetable salad, and cherries for dinner.

High Noon is an unusually tension-filled western of a sheriff who finds himself abandoned by the town he once protected when an old enemy returns to settle a score. The Quaker girl he's just married wonders if she ought to leave town, too...or join him by his side. Great cast - Gary Cooper won an Oscar as the sheriff, and Grace Kelly made her film debut as his Quaker bride - tackle a moral dilemma in "real time" (one of the few films to attempt this gimmick...and use it well). (The theme song that runs through the film, "The Ballad of High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)", won an Oscar as well.)

No comments: