Thursday, July 09, 2009

Soup Is Good Food

I slept in this morning. When I poked my head out the door, I realized there was no need for the air conditioner. It was mildly cloudy, breezy, and barely into the upper 70s-lower 80s. I switched it off and enjoyed my breakfast and Wonder Woman in peace.

I headed out to Collingswood around 11AM. Dropped off a small bag of donations for Erica at the thrift shop, then hung around in the Collingswood Library. I read a book on the Marvel Universe there, mostly just so I can keep track of who's who.

Did counseling next. Scott and I discussed my upcoming vacation, but we mostly talked about my recent difficulties controlling myself at work. I've been really hard on myself lately. I know it's embarassing, and I know I look silly when I do it, but...it's hard to stop doing it. It's what I instantly think - why did I make this mistake? If I were smart, I wouldn't have done it. I'm stupid for having done it. I know those thoughts are unproductive. It's just a matter of telling myself that in the heat of the moment, when an upset child afraid of not doing what's right and normal and what she's supposed to do takes over.

I wanted to do lunch after counseling, but I didn't really feel like pizza or a sandwich. I wanted something different...and I knew exactly what it was. I rode across Collingswood, down Cuthbert Road, past the Haddon Township Library, and over Crystal Lake Road to Pine Street on Audubon to that little Soup restaurant I last ate at in January. They're still there, and as messy and homey-looking as ever, with a few patriotic-related doo-dads replacing winter ones. I had the yummy Italian Wedding Soup, a fat slice of delicious cornbread, and a can of Diet A&W...and it all came to about $5.60. I really need to eat at that place more often.

I browsed in Willie the Woodsman's and Wife and Act Two Collectibles, but I didn't buy anything. Rode into Audubon to see if I could actually find their library. I finally did, after some fruitless riding around...only to discover it was closed from the 4th of July to the 19th! I discovered why when I stopped at Doria's Deli on the way home for a bottle of water and read in a local newspaper that Audubon hadn't allotted a single penny for their tiny library. Not one! And they hadn't told the staff, either. What a bunch of jerks. Do any of the council-people in Audubon actually READ?

Spent the rest of the afternoon at home, reading the Too Nice for Your Own Good book Lauren sent me and watching Wonder Woman. I'm really impressed with these episodes. They dealt with some surprisingly sensitive issues for a 70s sci-fi show, including the internment of Japanese citizens during World War II in "The Man Who Could Move the World" and the exploitation of musicians in "The Pied Piper." "Piper," which on paper sounded like a Bee-Gees era version of the Get Smart episode "The Groovy Guru," came out rather sweet (and with an odd "Pied Piper" in Martin Mull). I made Tacos with ground turkey, Farm Market colby cheese, and whole wheat wraps and steamed carrots for dinner.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Making mistakes doesn't mean you're stupid, it means you're human. If you get upset in front of people at work, that's not good because it's not professional. (Also, you are letting THEM win. I remember the day I got laid off from my first full time job. I stood there with my jaw locked while the dork in the suit babbled on, saying to myself "I will NOT let him see me cry." And he didn't.) But please don't sweat stuff like the bicycle tire. It's not like you deliberately drove through a parking lot with nails in it, or jumped up and down on curbs. The truth probably is that Walmart inner tubes are just cheap! But that's all you can afford, too. You do what you gotta do.