Saturday, July 11, 2009

Farm Market Day

Sue called me around 8:30AM. Could I come in early, at 11:30? I could come in early, but I pushed it to noon. I really needed to get to the Farm Market and the bank, but that wouldn't take too much time. I'd planned on spending the rest of the morning just hanging out.

It was a gorgeous, sunny, breezy, 80-degree day when I headed out around 9:30 this morning. The bank was my first stop. It was dead, and I was in and out. I saw a yard sale on my way to the Farm Market and bought a teddy bear dressed as a Philadelphia Eagles cheerleader to use for decoration around football season and two vintage-style My Little Ponies. They're not actual vintage ponies (the bottom of their hooves say 2007), but they're damn good Hasbro recreations. One is mint-colored, with shamrocks on her side and a white mane and tail. The other is all lavender, with white flowers on her side. I forget their names.

There was something weird about the Farm Market when I arrived. It seemed to be a lot further from the bike rack that usual. It turns out there was construction at the PATCO, and in order to avoid it, the booths were only at the last block and in the parking lot behind the City Hall. Spinach was gone, but I was still able to buy cherries, blueberries, cucumbers, bananas, sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, and the first New Jersey eggplants and green peppers of the season. (The peppers and eggplants previously sold at the Farm Market had come from down south, in Georgia or Florida.)

I stopped at one more yard sale after leaving, but they mostly just had baby clothes and toys. Good thing I got an early start. Even stopping at two yard sales, I had an hour to put everything away, have lunch, change, and head to work.

Work was really busy when I first came in. Apparently, there had been call-outs all morning, probably due to the nice weather. As it turned out, Mother Nature had the last laugh. Sometime around the dinner hour, the sky began to cloud over, and it grew more humid and warmer. It was still just cloudy when I finally made it out around 7:30, having picked up an on-sale box of Multi-Grain Cheerios. (For $1.88, how can I resisit?)

It didn't really start storming until just a few minutes ago, including one peal of thunder that was so loud, I screamed bloody murder! The rain's pouring down now. Just as well. Uncovered grass is looking a little dry. We could use the rain...provided it doesn't continue for the rest of the month, like in June.

No comments: