Thursday, June 10, 2010

Closing Balance

It was still cloudy and a little cool when I headed to Yogawood for this week's class. By the time I got out, it was sunny, hotter, and a little humid again. Once again, it was a quiet class, 8 students counting the teacher Karin. We worked on balancing and stretching. I'm getting much better at balancing. I haven't made handstands yet, but I can walk up the wall and do a pretty decent Tree Pose.

Headed to the thrift shop next to drop off a video I no longer needed. Erica told me something very disappointing there. They're shutting down on July 31st. The AIDS charity that owns the store is going out of business, and despite the store being very profitable, they can't afford to keep it open anymore. They're hoping to find a buyer for it.

I did end up getting some things for myself. I found another Efframbee doll, this one dressed in a pretty blue-and-yellow Dutch-style gown and hat, and the rare MGM wartime musical Thousands Cheer, with Kathryn Grayson and Gene Kelly.

Next stop was the Collingswood Library for volunteering. I put away DVDs, but there wasn't much else to do. I heard FA turn away three other volunteers because there was so little going on. I left there early. Ran errands at Rite Aid and CVS instead.

After I got in, I had a leftover turkey burger, cherries, chocolate chip muffins, and a spinach salad for lunch while watching Looney Tunes cartoons. The last disc of the Vol 6 set concentrates on popular one-shot cartoons that don't often turn up elsewhere. Chief among these are Warners' first foray in the Dr. Seuss canon, Horton Hatches the Egg. It's a colorful and cute version of the first Horton story. Lazy Maisie the Bird asks Horton to hatch her egg. Horton does...and he, Maisie, and a whole circus learn the value of patience and sticking to your guns, no matter what. "An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent!"

A major theme of these cartoons is thwarted justice. Most of these non-series Toons just can't seem to catch a break, whether it's the cat of Fresh Airedale who constantly sees a spoiled canine snatch his thunder or the harried mother of Wild Wife who just wants a little respect from her husband.

Like I said, this set isn't for the little guys, but those of you who are Toons completists or major cartoon fans or history buffs like me may find them fascinating.

Work was pretty much the same as yesterday. It was busy during rush hour, quiet later. This time, thank goodness, we had more than enough help. I was in and out with no problems.

No comments: