Monday, June 28, 2010

Sunshine and Storms

Ugh. It was STILL hot and humid when I headed out to the laundromat around 9:30-quarter after 9. The laundromat, however, was bustling. I guess a lot of people get out to do their clothes then. It took me a little longer than the past few weeks to get my clothes done, since I had towels in the mix this time, too. I was home around 11.

I put my clothes away and ran the Care Bears DVD again, then headed back out. I stopped at WaWa to use the ATM machine and get a soda fountain Coke Zero with vanilla syrup. I honestly wish I hadn't. I encountered a rather nasty exchange between a persnickety, obnoxious old man and a middle-aged man who may or may not have worked for WaWa. The old man kept bugging him about the Icee machine. Why didn't it have a particular flavor? Was he a WaWa employee? Why wasn't he refilling it? After a while, the guy just ignored him, and I couldn't blame him.

Went to lunch at the Bagel Shop in Westmont next. I haven't been there since I went with Lauren earlier this month. It was busy there when I arrived around 1:30, but by the time I'd finished my turkey wrap with Swiss cheese and avocado spread, the place had cleared out, and it was down to me and General Hospital

After a quick stop at Dollar Tree for sponges and Apple Newtons-style cookies (my go-to low fat cookie in the summer when it's too hot to bake), I went over to the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteering session. I would have skipped it or done it on Wednesday, but I had DVDs due.

It was probably a good thing I didn't put it off or skip it. They were in the midst of their children's reading session when I arrived, and there were tons of books and DVDs to shelve. It took me the better part of an hour. I was so involved with shelving things, I didn't realize how dark the sky had gotten until I was looking for books for myself. I didn't even hear the thunder. I just happened to look up after picking a Phillip Pullman novel (The Tin Princess), and see that the previously-hazy sky was now cloudy and dark.

I signed out Tin Princess, the last book (to date) in the Beatrix Potter Cottage Tales mysteries The Tale of Applebeck Farm, The Unofficial Guide to New York City, the two newest Garfield comic books, and three DVDs - Barefoot in the Park, The Woman In White, and Lady In Cement - and was on my way out when I realized it was raining. Not as hard as last Thursday's monsoon, but enough that leaving probably wasn't a good idea. I went back in and read the guidebook for a little while. I finally headed out around 4:30 and wasn't home until well after 5, by which time the shower had ended and the clouds were starting to break apart.

No comments: