Sunday, June 13, 2010

Storms Roll In

It was sunny, muggy, and hot when I awoke this morning. I made Banana-Blueberry Pancakes and called Mom. I didn't get her until half-way through the 10-12 Brunch With the Beatles radio show. She was doing things around the apartment, avoiding the heat and enjoying the relative peace. Keefe was babysitting for my sister Anny and Dad's out fishing. (Keefe did show up later.)

Mom was happy to hear about everything I got done this week, and my plans for the future. I'm going to concentrate on finding ways to lose weight and improve my focus. As badly as I want to get out of the Acme, I think one of the reasons I haven't been able to find a job is I can't believe in myself enough to sell my skills to anyone. Until I feel better about myself, I don't think I really can look for another job.

Mom and I chatted for almost 45 minutes. Most of the second hour of Brunch With the Beatles went by without me even knowing it! (By the way, Paul McCartney, whose birthday is this week, was in the spotlight.) I spent the rest of the afternoon listening to my new Harry Connick Jr. Pajama Game CD and puttering around online.

I had just gotten offline and was eating a peanut butter and peach butter sandwich for lunch when I noticed that it had gotten considerably darker. I leaned out of the apartment, and it definitely smelled like rain. It wasn't raining hard, so I packed lunch, changed, and headed for work on the bike.

Mistake! I was half-way down Kendall Boulevard when it started pouring. Good thing I left really early. I stopped under a couple of trees to wait out the rain. It did slow down enough for me to get to work just short of completely sopping.

The rain must have scared the usual Sunday customers off. It was steady, but not nearly as busy at it typically is on a Sunday afternoon. It cleared out even more when another big thunderstorm rolled in around quarter of 6.

Thankfully, by the time I shut down and headed out, it was down to a sprinkle. I was rounding the corner of Goff and Manor and a block from my apartment when the sun broke through the clouds. To my knowledge, it hasn't rained since.

No comments: