Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A Very Long Walk

We started off today with a pleasant breakfast of oatmeal with cinnamon and brown sugar while I ran cartoons. Unfortunately, we ran into a problem when we tried to saddle up the bikes to head to the laundromat. Both bikes were just too tall for Lauren (who is 5'0), even set as low as they could go. We decided that the laundry had to get done, and we didn't want to sit around. We walked to the laundromat on the White Horse Pike after making a brief stop at the Oaklyn Library, where I introduced Lauren to three of the librarians.

The laundromat was a bit busy when we arrived around 11:30. There were a few older ladies doing their linens, and college students were in and out. An older lady had trouble with one of the super-size laundry machines and called in the owners. We didn't have nearly that much trouble. Since Lauren only had a little laundry, we washed and dried our clothes together.

Dark clouds had begun to gather on the White Horse Pike as the dryer ended its run. We were a block away when we saw lightning and heard noisy thunder! We ducked into the little Italian food store to let the storm pass, which only took a few minutes. It spit for a few moments, then stopped. We had a few rumbles of thunder as we walked home.

I dropped my laundry in my room, and she dropped hers in her backpack. After a quick bathroom break, we headed out again. I wanted to catch the Bagel Shop at the Westmont Plaza before it closed. We got in there around quarter after 2, which proved to be absolutely perfect timing. They were just closing up the back dining area where the Flyers, golf, and boxing memorabilia is. We both had Grilled Chicken Ranch Panninis with bacon and cheese, along with fries and very big pickles. We loved it...and Lauren loved the posters of baseball greats on the walls. (She had to get a picture of the Ted Williams soda poster on her cell phone.)

Our next stops were all short ones. We were in and out of Super Fresh - I needed yeast, and their 49 cent packs of Hodegson Mill yeast are a lot cheaper than the three-packs of Fleischman's at the Acme. I had several books to drop off at the Haddon Township Library, one of them overdue. We browsed through the used books for sale at the Library and in Dollar General next to the Westmont Acme.

It was past 4 by then. I suggested taking the PATCO to Haddonfield, since most of the stores in Collingswood were probably shutting down or already closed for the day. We hiked down Cuthbert Road and over to Collingswood, where we ended up waiting almost 15 minutes for a train. One left so fast, we didn't have the time to get on it, even though we were right on the other side of the platform! (I later figured out it was an Express train.)

We didn't spend a lot of time in Haddonfield when we finally arrived. King's Highway was busy with rush-hour communters, and many of the stores there were also close to closing. I did get to show her the Happy Hippo Toy Store (no good WebKinz this time), and we had iced teas and Chai Lattes at Starbucks. (Lauren had never been to a Starbucks before!)

After that, we took the train back to Collingswood and walked straight home. I was tired, sore, and bone-weary. Lauren, despite being as hot as me, was still full of pep. I felt like a fat pig and told her so. She said I was being too hard on myself. It's just been ages since I'd had such a long walk. In fact, the last time I had a walk that long would have been New Year's Eve, and I felt just as sore and tired coming home from the Deptford Mall that day.

I feel so huge. Lauren pointed out that there doesn't seem to be many work-out options here. The few gyms in the area are in the "suburban" towns - Deptford, Cherry Hill, Marlton - that I can't get to easily. Lauren's been going to an inexpensive gym in her town that really seems to be working for her. Everyone says I look great, but all I've been doing is gaining and gaining weight. I can't seem to drop under 200 pounds. I fully expected to be at least 160 by now.

The weather didn't help. It felt breezy after the storm left, but once it was out of the area, it was hazy, hot, and humid all day long. We switched the air conditioning back on when we finally arrived at my apartment. I cheered myself up by making Chicken Stir-Fry with Spring Vegetables and brown rice for us for dinner. Lauren absolutely loved it, and I have to admit, it came out well for just being something I threw together. It was just chicken cutlets, carrots, celery, leeks, and mushrooms cooked in olive oil with a sauce made of Marsala cooking wine, soy sauce, cider vinegar, and a little sugar.

Tomorrow, we're hopping on a train to explore the Outlets and the Boardwalk in Atlantic City!

No comments: