Sunday, January 22, 2012

Making Some Changes

Started out a late morning with my journal, then Brunch With the Beatles. The theme today was "Songs that came out in or around January." These included "Penny Lane," "She Loves You," "In My Life," and "A Day In the Life."

I made Cocoa-Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. Got Dad, but that was cool. I haven't talked to him since Christmas Eve. He was watching CNN. He's a huge Giants fan and gave me a lot of talk about how "revved" they were for tonight's game. He said Mom was in the shower. I'd call her back later.

Spent the rest of the morning re-arranging my bedroom. There's a lot of furniture in the bedroom that I really can't put anyplace but where they are. I tried to find somewhere else for the closets and the dresser that came with the apartment, but they were both too big to fit anywhere but against the walls. I can't move the desk away from the internet cable, either. Plus, there's only two electrical outlets in the room, and one phone jack in the whole apartment.

I originally wanted to push my "bed" (really, a very worn mattress and box spring that I've had since I was a kid) against the wall and turn it into a daybed, but it took up too much room that way...not to mention, I would be sleeping against that electrical outlet. I moved both Ikea "Billy" bookshelves in the alcove on the end of the closets, the old vanity chair that's the home for some of my collectable Effanbee dolls next to the wooden crate I use for an bed table, and the American Girl dolls' bed to the foot of my bed. The American Girl dolls themselves now sit on their bed instead of blocking the closets; the Disney Animators dolls will just stay on my bed.

Once again, I pushed too long. I barely had enough time to grab two muffins and a pear for lunch, change into my uniform, pack a bag for grocery shopping later, and hurry out the door! Though Manor Avenue was still icy, Kendall Boulevard and the Black Horse Pike were fine. I had to walk my bike on Manor, but I was able to ride normally when I hit the main roads.

Work was very busy for most of the day with people restocking after yesterday and getting ready for today's big football games. The Baltimore Ravens played the New England Patriots for the AFC title, while the San Francisco 49ers took on Dad's beloved New York Giants in the later game for the NFC. It did clear out slightly later on. Work went quickly with no problems; I was in and out.

My only real trouble today was my nose. I hadn't moved some of the furniture in my bedroom since I came to Oaklyn in January 2006, and the bookshelves weren't touched since April of that year. It was really dusty under those shelves, and it got into my lungs. I've been sneezing like crazy all day.

I already did fast food this week and I wasn't hungry enough for a big meal at Bassett's Memphis Barbecue or Applebee's, so I rode over to Tu Se Bella's to grab a slice of pizza. The place was hopping when I got in. All eyes were on the last few minutes of the Ravens-Patriots game. Even as I waited for my slice of Broccoli Rabe-Sausage Pizza to warm up, the Ravens missed a heartbreaker of a field goal that lost them the game, 23-20.

Went back to the Acme for a major grocery shopping session after dinner. I needed a LOT. In fact, I needed so much, I couldn't get it all tonight. I wouldn't have been able to carry it on my bike! The Acme is having a "buck a bag" vegetable sale and I needed to stock up, so I bought celery and a bag of cauliflower and broccoli, along with grapefruit, pears, and bananas. I also grabbed milk, brown eggs, ground chicken, cubed steaks, peanut butter, honey, oatmeal, cereal, green tea, small wraps for sandwiches until I can get to making bread, and canned tomatoes and low-sodium chicken stock in a carton to replace what I used yesterday. And I still need whole-wheat flour, baking soda, and mushrooms!
I finally got a hold of Mom when I arrived home. She was watching the 49ers-Giants game in her room and doing things online. She, too, wants to look into taking online business courses. In fact, she's looking at some of the same ones I am, these from Atlantic County College. I'm going to see if I can find any other online business schools around here this week.

(And alas Mom, the Giants finally beat the 49ers in overtime just a few minutes ago, 20-17. That means that the Giants are going to the Super Bowl, which isn't good...but I don't like the Patriots, either. Is there any way for both teams to lose? ; ) )

No comments: