Monday, January 23, 2012

No Snow Where There's Rain

Yes, it was raining when I got up this morning. Normally, I'd put doing the laundry off until a less-wet day, but the laundromat is going to be closed tomorrow in order to install new driers, and I work fairly early on Wednesday. It was now or wait until Thursday, which would really be too late.

The rain was just a shower when I headed out. The grass was still mushy, but the rain had cleared the majority of the ice and slush off of the street. I was able to ride my bike normally. It was also still fairly cold, more than it was supposed to be today.

Much to my surprise, the laundromat was busy when I arrived. I guess everyone decided to get theirs done now, too, before they close. I was able to get a washer and drier, but I had to dodge several people, including the owner and a couple of workers removing parts of the back wall that held the driers in preparation to replace them.

The rain had started coming down harder as I headed home. I arrived wet, though thankfully, I have a thick bag I use for laundry, and the dry clothes weren't too bad. The rain was coming down so hard, I tried calling Dad for a ride after I finished putting the laundry away. Turns out he's down in the Florida Keys, visiting friends. The phone call wasn't a total loss. I hadn't talked to him for a couple off weeks, so that was nice.

I was incredibly lucky. The rain had slowed into a mist by the time I finally headed to work, and I arrived just a little damp. Work wasn't too bad when I came in at one, but it got very busy during rush hour and never let up afterwards. A teenager called out at the very last minute and left us short on help, too. I barely got out on time.

I picked up a few things I couldn't fit in last night after work. A sale on King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour was the big one. I also needed tangerines, mushrooms, more of those dollar bagged veggies, laundry detergent (I have enough left for next week in my current bottle and that's it), and baking soda. By the time I finished, the rain, which had apparently gotten really bad at one point, was gone...along with most of the snow and ice. I had a perfectly dry ride home. Picked up the last of my recent online orders, my own copy of that 10 Laws for Career Reinvention book.

No comments: