Friday, January 20, 2012

The Snow and the Fury

I heard the sound of a huge crash as I was reading The Fences Between Us in bed this morning. When I got dressed and made my way out to the music area, I discovered, much to my dismay, that the Wal-Mart rack I was using temporarily for the CDs had fallen over. The floor is uneven around the window that overlooks the park. That's another reason I keep the Christmas tree pulled away from the window - to get it on a level space. The rack had been leaning precariously since I set it up last week, but I was hoping the new shelf would arrive before anything happened.

Thank goodness nothing was broken, including the rack. Since the shelf would probably arrive any day now, I decided to just move the good rack over to the music area and swap the cherry Ikea shelf with the crates for the records. I like the Ikea shelf near the window. It doesn't take up so much room that you can't get around, and I shouldn't have problems with the tree this December, either. It's also so heavy that leaning isn't a problem.

The Acme called while I was figuring all that out. Could I come in five minutes ago? No. I told them I'd go in an hour early. It took me long enough to get everything put away as it was. Since I now had more room, I returned the CDs I'd put out in the back room, intending to keep them in books and get rid of the cases. I now realize I have too many CDs to do this. From now on, I only keep home-made CDs in books. I just barely had enough time to eat, change into my uniform, grab dinner, and hurry out the door.

The Acme had their reasons for calling me in. Despite the nice, sunny, chilly day, the Acme was flooded with people panicking over the weather tomorrow. I have no idea why. We're supposed to be getting between one and three inches of snow, a little ice, and rain. I doubt that snow will be around for more than five minutes. It's been too warm this winter to get anything as significant as we have the last two years. I wish people would think of that, and of the fact that no one in this area lives more than five minutes from any business that sells food, before they hurry out the door for a huge order because the Philadelphia newscasts said we might get snow.

It was a pain all night. People were cranky, and the lines were very long. There was a call-out and we were short on help, too. It was so busy, I didn't get a break until 6:30, and I went in at 2. The college student in charge said I could take a half-hour break because I missed my first 15 minute one...but they really should have found someone to go in for my break in the first place. It had only just slowed to steady when I left.

When I came home, the new shelf was waiting for me on Miss Ellie's patio. I took the old Wal-Mart rack out to the trash cans (I'll put it with the trash on Thursday), then dragged the shelf upstairs. I'll put it together tomorrow.

No comments: