Tuesday, July 29, 2014

In the Cold Days of Summer

Started off a very cloudy, unusually chilly day with an early work shift. It was almost exactly the same as it has been during weekdays for the past month - dead as a doornail for most of the afternoon. I spent a lot of time standing around bored. Once again, there were no major problems besides some cranky customers. In fact, my relief was on time today, allowing me to head out right away.

When I got home, I changed into regular clothes while watching one of the East Side Kids movies, Come Out Fighting. This series was the predecessor to the Bowery Boys, running from 1940 to 1945. Fighting was the last one, more-or-less a remake of the earlier Million Dollar Kid with a more sympathetic rich kid. The kid in question is the police commissioner's sheltered son, a dancer (Johnny Duncan). He wants the Kids to take him in and teach him how to be tough. The naive boy has gotten involved with some nasty folks, including gamblers. When the Kids try to come to his rescue, one gets hurt, and leader Mugs (Leo Gorcey) gets in trouble. It's up to the rich kid to win the boxing match for the Bowery and prove just how tough he is.

Dad-Bruce's birthday was yesterday. I tried to make him a Blueberry Butter Cake last night, but it fell apart. Oh well, it was edible. I cut it in half, glued together what I could with Cool Whip mixed with cinnamon, and took it and a birthday card over to Dad's house. Jessa and Joe were making a huge bowl of pasta with shrimp, scallops, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I ended up eating at their house. Even with five of us (and Joe's huge appetite), there was still more than half of that big bowl left after everyone ate, plus another bowl of plain pasta.

Heard from Rose when I got home. Rose invited me over her house for dinner tomorrow evening to celebrate her new job in a law firm in Camden. I'm looking forward to it. I haven't really seen much of her since Father's Day.

No comments: