Saturday, June 27, 2015

Rainy Day at the Farm Market

Started a gloomy, damp day with a run to the Collingswood Farm Market. I had to get it done today. I won't be able to make it to the Colllingswood or Westmont farm markets next week. It was showering lightly when I arrived. They were still busy with people buying food for their graduation parties and barbecues. Asparagus is gone, but I did see the last of the strawberries and the first of the Jersey tomatoes. I bought two pints of blueberries, a tomato, cherries, strawberries, two small organic zucchini and a small organic yellow squash (they were three for a dollar), and snap peas. I did see a few yard sales on my way to Collingswood, but they were shutting down even as I headed back to my place.

When I got home, I put everything away and finished out Scooby Doo, Where are You?, which I began during breakfast this morning. The gang discovers that "A Tiki Scare Is No Fair" when a ghostly Witch Doctor scares off the natives from a supposedly cursed village. Then their guide mysteriously disappears. They go to check out the village...and find that it's guarded by a gigantic living statue!

"Don't Fool With a Phantom" finishes out the second season and the show's original run. The kids are competing in a local dance show that's robbed by a creature made of wax. A former employee insists he made the creature come to life. A search at the wax museum reveals otherwise as the kids try to trick the phantom into getting trapped in his own wax.

Switched to more Hello Kitty Furry Tale Theater as I made quick Zucchini-Coconut-Chocolate Chip Cookies from a cake mix. A horror-themed disc begins with the series finale, "The Phantom of the Theater." Someone is playing pranks on Kitty and her friends backstage. They're determined to find out who doesn't want the show to go on.

"Frankencat" and "Catula" are fairly straight spoofs of those two famous horror stories. Catnip is the famous mad scientist and Grinder her creation in the former; My Melody is the little girl Grinder befriends. "Catula" gives Catnip the chance to play a more glamorous villain as she terrorizes Hello Kitty, Sam, Chip, and My Melody in her castle.

"The Pawed Piper" plays a little looser with the famous poem about the musician (Tuxedo Sam) who steals away the children of a town when the Mayor (Catnip) won't pay him for getting rid of pests (fleas, in this case). "Rumpledogskin" has Hello Kitty as the daughter who has to spin straw to gold. The title character (Grinder) gives her a way out, but she has to promise him her first born child (My Melody)...a promise she can't bring herself to keep.

It was still spitting when I rode to work. I arrived a little damp, but not soaked. Work was very busy when I arrived. It gradually slowed down as the rain got harder on and off throughout the afternoon. By the time I finished, we were dead...and the rain was coming down in buckets. I got off easily with no relief. There were no major problems; I was in and out after I got milk and a cinnamon raisin bagel for a snack.

The shower was far heavier when I got out. I tried waiting for it to slow down, but after ten minutes, it didn't happen. I needed a shower when I got home, anyway. I just rode home and got pre-wet. It was raining heavily up until about a half-hour ago; it seems to have lightened considerably since then.

No comments: