Sunday, June 21, 2015

Summertime for Dads

First of all, Happy Father's Day to all dads, including my own two and those with children who are four-legged and feathered.

We had some pretty noisy storms overnight. The clouds were just subsiding as I finally got up around 10. Made Blueberry Coconut Pancakes and enjoyed the air conditioning as I listened to one of the two cassettes I picked up from the yard sales last week. The Hollywood Musicals features Johnny Mathis with help from Henry Mancini. I like that there's a few obscure titles, including "It Could Happen to You" (from the little-known And the Angels Sing) and "Crazy World" (from Victor/Victoria).

Work was, surprisingly for a holiday, not as busy as I thought it would be. For one thing, it got sunnier and hotter as the day went on. I suspect a lot of people may have headed off to the Shore once it became apparent that the weather wasn't going to be anywhere near as bad as the local newscasts claimed. Other than some fussy customers, there were no major problems, and my relief was on time.

It sure felt like the first day of summer when I got out of work. It actually wasn't that hot, probably in the mid-80's and a bit windy, but it was humid as heck. I hurried home the short way down the Black Horse Pike.

When I got in, I called the family in Cape May County to wish Dad-Bill a happy Father's Day. To my surprise, he answered the phone. He apparently ripped a tendon on a knee a while back and had just had surgery on it. He was at home, resting. I'm glad I got to talk to him. He's usually out working on Father's Day. Talked to Mom, too. She was let go from the Ferry earlier than expected, thanks to an error, and is now at loose ends. My nephew Skylar will be spending the night at her house to celebrate the end of the school year. I can't believe he'll be going into sixth grade in the fall!

(I'll go to Dad-Bruce's house and deliver his card tomorrow or Tuesday. I think he and Jodie may have gone away for the weekend.)

I listened to my other yard sale cassette find while having leftover chicken sausages with a farm-market fresh spinach salad for dinner. I took Barbara Streisand's Back to Broadway album out of the library a few times a while back, but I don't think I ever owned it. My favorite song on this one is the touching "Children Will Listen," from Into the Woods. I also like "Luck Be a Lady" from Guys and Dolls.

No comments: