Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Between the Snow Showers

Got a fast start on another very chilly, sunny day with breakfast and some snow-themed Max & Ruby. A blizzard causes Ruby to declare that it's "Max's Snow Day" and insist they stay indoors and do crafts. Max would rather play outside. "Max's Snow Bunny" is a story he and Ruby heard on the radio about the fearsome Abominable Snow Bunny. Ruby says it isn't real, but Max keeps seeing signs that seem to prove otherwise. "Max's Mix-Up" happens after he and Ruby have spent all morning sledding. Ruby wants to go inside, but Max wants to keep going. The arrival of Louise and her little brother Morris gives Max a chance to get his way.

Cold weather or no cold weather, I had a few errands to run today, especially before we get the snow that's supposed to arrive on Friday. My first stop was Rite Aid. Considering the weather reports, they were surprisingly quiet. I needed more cold medicine; just grabbed Rite Aid's generic brand this time. Picked up a pretty country-themed calendar for the main hallway and scrub sponges, the latter to save me a trip to Dollar Tree. I noticed they had the Tiny Toons movie How I Spent My Vacation. I've been wanting to find that. The girls and I loved it when we were kids.

Next stop was the Haddon Township Library for my first session there in over two weeks. It looked it. The kids' section was a mess. Everything is overloaded to the gills. I organized and re-organized everything, and I still couldn't get in a lot of S titles. Had far more luck with the adult DVDs, all of which went back with no problems.

Found the new Disney live-action Cinderella in the kids' section; also picked up Blade Runner (which I've been wanting to see for ages) and a European animated movie called Jack and the Cuckoo Clock Heart. They finally had Quiet, on introversion and how it's not a bad thing, in after it being out for more than a year. Found a massive guide to the Star Wars universe as well. If I'm going to admit to being a fan again, I might as well reacquaint myself with the basics.

Stopped at Wendy's for a very late lunch. It was so late, they were totally dead when I arrived. Everyone was in the drive-in, heading home from work. I enjoyed my Bacon Gouda Cheeseburger, fries, and Diet Coke in comparative quiet.

Cut through Newton Lake Park on my way home. The recent cold snap was literally and figuratively reflected in still waters that were (mostly) frozen for the first time since March. It was also reflected in the empty park. The only creatures I passed on my way home were a flock of Canadian geese poking around for an early dinner.

Worked on more writing when I got home. Santa Claus has arrived in Toyland, just as the kids and Mr. Eldridge explain to Mother Gloria Goose why Christmas is important. Everyone tells Santa what Barnaby has been up to. Santa banishes Barnaby to the Forest of No Return with the trolls.

Ran a couple of episodes of Tales of the Gold Monkey while I made Pasta and Bean Fagioli for a quick dinner. Jake was "Once a Tiger," but even though he's no longer a part of the flying squadron, he's still eager to help a former team mate when he's downed during a mission. "Legends are Forever," or so Jake's old buddy Gandy claims. Gandy takes him, Corky, and Louie to an island inhabited by African natives that may or may not be home to King Solomon's Mines.

No comments: