Friday, January 08, 2016

Late Awakening

I was up really late again downloading videos on YouTube (or trying to). When I blinked my eyes open, it was nearly noon! That wasn't something I was expecting. I barely had time to read a few chapters of the Dashiell Hammett novel Red Harvest, write in my journal, have something to eat, and run an episode of Fairie Tale Theatre.

"The Tale of the Frog Prince" was the first episode of the series. This purely comic tale has Robin Williams as the title character, a plucky frog who retrieves a golden ball for a very spoiled and obnoxious princess (Terri Garr). He wants a night sleeping on her pillow, but she'd rather forget he was even there. When he does finally get his wish, she learns what a good companion a frog can be...and what he really is.

As soon as I changed and finished throwing things together for work, I literally raced out the door, flew down the street on the bike, and barely got in on time! While it was busy when I got in, it gradually calmed down to steady to dead. There were no really major problems, and my relief was right on time.

Mixed feelings on the schedule next week. On one hand, I have three days off, including a rare Sunday. On the other hand, I have two relatively late days and not nearly enough hours. This is pretty common in January, given that we're between holidays again, but it's not going to help my bank account. On the other hand, once we get past Martin Luther King Jr. Day, things should start going back up again, and February is almost always busy.

I needed to do a little bit of grocery shopping after work. It was mainly restocking and picking up anything I didn't get earlier in the week. The Acme has coupons for their new generic brands in their flyers this week. I used the Lucerne (dairy) coupon to try the vanilla almond milk. I'm not the biggest fan of Special K, but $1.50 was too good of a deal to resist - decided to try the Cinnamon Pecan. Restocked apples, grapefruit, bananas, yogurt, honey, powdered sugar, and mayo. Oat bran was $1.99. I don't think I've ever seen it that cheap. I love it as hot cereal in the morning.

No comments: