Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Gorgeous Day For a Farm Market

Went back to the Farm Market today. Shouldn't have skipped last week; I missed it. I love going to the Farm Market. The produce is always great, the farmers are so nice, and it's wonderful to know I'm helping the community. I picked up grape tomatoes, blackberries, green leaf lettuce (spinach apparently won't be back in season until the fall), peaches the size of baseballs, radishes, and the first pears of the season today. (Blueberries are also apparently done for the season, which explains their increase in price in the Acme.)

Work was surprisingly steady-to-dead today. The weather was stunning, bright-blue, low-80s and windy, like a fall day. I assume everyone (understandably) decided they'd rather enjoy the weather than shop.

There was only one major problem, and once again it was early on. There's a woman who always comes in with a ton of 10 for $10 dollar merchandise and merchandise with coupons...and she always has a coupon for every item. Always. This time, however, her items (those new Nabisco 100 Calorie Cookie packs) did NOT match the coupons...AND she was violating that "one coupon per order" rule. I called Diane the head front end manager, and she got the woman to put the cookies and the coupons back.

I owe Diane one. I can guess what that woman does with all that stuff, and why she wants it so cheap. A lot of people buy stuff from the Acme and sell it really cheap in chop shops in Camden and Philadelphia. I believe that's illegal. If you can't afford to buy your items from a warehouse, don't be in business at all.

(It's interesting she was in so early; that woman usually shows up at night. I heard the local Shop Rite will no longer accept her coupons at all.)

No comments: