Saturday, August 25, 2007

How To...Get Out Of A Job You Hate

Lauren says I'm too picky. Picky about what? I just don't want to end up in a job I don't like again. I've spent six years trying to find a better job than the grocery store, and I'm starting to think it isn't possible. Maybe all I'm good for is replacing the older women when they can't work in the mornings.

People don't take six years getting out of college to find a job. Why go to college if it's going to take you six years to find a real job?

I'm sick and tired of the Acme. I'm tired of feeling like I owe the stupid union something, just because I'd get treated even worse if they weren't there. I'm tired of working 38 hours one week, 19 hours the next. I'm tired of the obnoxious, stupid, spoiled customers. I'm tired of feeling like the only single, childless 28-year-old in the entire company.

I'm so scared. Every time I look for a job, nothing ever pans out. I go from office to office, giving everyone the same spiel and the same resume. I post my resumes at every major job site. I tell everyone I know I'm looking for a good, solid job. I check the paper. I put in applications.

And, of course, nothing happens. I get turned down. I'm not right. They went with other options. They want their best friend or their boyfriend or someone they've known them for years.

What if I'm doing this forever? What if I'm still trapped doing the same thing when I'm 80?

I want the same thing everyone else has. I want regular, normal hours. I want regular, normal days I can count on and plan around. I want co-workers I can talk to and relate to, who can talk to and relate to me. I want to feel like I belong, like I'm part of a real group. I want to be able to run to the farm market and do all my Saturday chores without rushing.

I love the farm market. I love doing my Saturday chores. I just don't like only having a few hours to do them in.

No comments: