Monday, August 27, 2007

Summertime...And The Livin's Easy

A nice, quiet day today, which I appreciate, given what my hours are like later in the week. I worked early, 10AM to 3PM. A few cranky customers and one cracked jar of mayo (thank goodness it was the plastic Kraft Mayo), otherwise on-and-off busy, no major problems.

Today was also gorgeous, hot but not above the norm for August in New Jersey, with low humidity. It was such a nice day that I did my pilates routine outside after I swept the porch. I don't know if I'll do it again. The change of scenery was nice, but I got covered in mosquito bites.

Oh, and I forgot to mention something I saw Thursday night. I kept hearing these noisy thumps on my porch. I thought it might be burglars, but I'm in the back of a house on a well-protected dead-end side street in a small town. I then decided it was very fat squirrels and shrugged it off. It continued on and off for a couple of hours. I was going to the bathroom when I happened to peek out the window and discover what was making the racket. A pair of huge raccoons were playing on my porch! My landlady Miss Ellie told me when I moved in last year that there were raccoons in this area, but I'd never seen them until Thursday night. As long as they stay out of my trash, I welcome them as much as I would any neighbor, fuzzy or human.

No comments: