Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cozy Balance

It was, indeed, snowing when I awoke this morning. However, what it wasn't doing was sticking. The only things covered with snow were the remaining ice piles. Other than it being windy, I had no trouble hopping on the bike and heading to Collingswood for my first yoga class in almost three weeks.

I'm really glad I did. Class was fun. The Olympics had gotten Karin jazzed and feeling up for a lot of twisting and standing poses. She wasn't the only one, either. Despite the weather, there was a big crowd today, 13 students counting Karin. We worked with a partner at one point, too, pulling them as they did downward facing dog and getting good stretches on both ends.

My next stop after class was something I've wanted to do since I got my tax return in the beginning of the month - get a haircut! I desperately needed one. My hair was getting too thick and heavy and was a mass of split ends. I sat back and enjoyed a hot chocolate and chatted with the ladies about the weather and their customers. Some lady called while I was finishing my drink and apparently tried to push her highlights-and-cut-and-full treatment appointment further back in the day...after attempting to cancel it all together.

The young lady who cut my hair did a fabulous job. I got it styled in soft layers around my face, which brought out my curls nicely. It's a little shorter than I had it in September, since we'll be getting into spring soon. I absolute love it. It's so cute.

The Collingswood Library was next on my list. I had enough time after my hair cut to do get some volunteering in there. I helped FA, the librarian in charge of the volunteers, put DVDs away and return the covers. (The Collingswood Library circumvents DVD theft by keeping the actual DVDs in a locked file behind the main counter. The only things on the shelves are the boxes.)

Headed to CoffeeGround, the coffee shop a few blocks from Genesis Counseling, for lunch. I had a nicely spicy Vegetarian Chili and some more hot chocolate. Chatted with the young guys, most of whom looked about college age or slightly older. We made jokes about all the people fussing over the weather for no good reason. The snow was coming down fairly heavily...but it STILL wasn't sticking to anything important.

I made a short stop at Rite Aid and ended up with water, which was much-needed after the well-seasoned chili. An older lady told me there that not everyone had handled the weather well. The Philadelphia School District had actually decided to shut down today...based after last night's over-hyped weather reports.

Counseling was next on the list. Had a nice chat with Scott, mostly about my crazy month and my problems losing weight. Namely, I've been gaining weight for months. I'm back over 200 again. Scott suggested that I try eating slower, and putting down my fork between bites. French Women Don't Get Fat also mentioned this. My best friend Lauren, who is a very slow eater, has also pointed out my bad habit of eating too quickly before. I really do need to work on that.

The snow still wasn't sticking after I left Genesis Counseling, but the wind was getting worse. I didn't have any other running around to do, so I just went straight home.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at the apartment, catching up on another chore I've put off for weeks - baking! I made Rosemary Dinner Rolls from the Live Longer Cookbook and added cranberries to that delicious Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from last March's Prevention Magazine. Watched Singin' In the Rain, listened to soundtracks, and watched the snow drift cozily across my porch and the river.

(And BTW, the snow has finally stuck...to the ground. As of this writing, it has yet to stick to the street or sidewalks.)

No comments: