Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

The weather outside is definitely frightful..and thank goodness I had no place to go. I actually awoke to snow, but it changed to sleet/snow while I was still reading and writing in my journal in bed. By the time I was having Quick Breakfast Crisp for breakfast, the sleet/snow was back to plain old snow again, and remained snow for the rest of the day.

Not surprisingly, I spent the majority of the day inside. I did the budget. (Spent a lot of money last month, but I had a lot of money leftover from Christmas, too.) Worked on editing this month's Monkees Role-Play story. (Look for it by next week at the latest.) I cleaned the kitchen. I made my bed. I vacuumed. I watched Road to Utopia, one of the Road to... movies with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour, which is the only movie I own with a snowy setting. (Bob and Bing flee to Alaska in search of a gold mine; Dorothy wants to fleece them, as she believes they're the men who killed her father, the mine's original owner.)

I got bored between cleaning the kitchen and vacuuming, so I bundled up and went outside. The steps weren't shoveled at that point, so I once again slid down them. I went for a short walk in the park. The snow was heavy, wet, and hard to plow through. It did make for excellent packing snow, though. I made a little snowman and tossed snowballs in the air. I was soaked when I got in, but I'm glad I went for my walk. The air was bracing but not bitterly cold, and it felt good after the stale air indoors.

My neighbor Michael was shoveling my steps when I got back. I found out why he has no qualms about being out in this weather. He apparently works for the local sewer system, and like me, his workplace doesn't shut down when bad weather hits.

Speaking of work, I'm so, so glad I had off today. This is the first time this winter I haven't had to hike to the Acme in a blizzard. I have no idea what I'm going to do about work tomorrow. The snow kept coming down throughout the evening and, despite Michael's efforts, the steps and porch are covered again.

(The only real fly in the ointment today was a rather nasty allergy attack. I don't know why I'm getting one now. I didn't have any sinus problems during the last two storms. Maybe it's because I was inside for most of the day.)

2 comments:

Linda said...

Emma, what kind of heat do you have? Is it baseboard heat or radiators, or do you have forced air with vents like we have? If it's the latter, you may have a filter that needs changing.

Emma said...

Baseboard heat...and Miss Ellie just had them cleaned less than a month ago.